Any DIYers in Sydney?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matta

Hi Guys,

The family and I are moving to Sydney in November, would be great to connect with other DIYers. At this point it looks like we'll be based out of Surry Hills/Redfern/Paddington, so inner Sydney. A little perturbed by the 'nanny state' vibes as I've heard that it's even illegal to wire up a wall plug, let alone build your on gear and while I've run a tech shop here in Cape Town for years, it seems I might not legally be able to offer these services in Aus, unless it's low voltage or not mains driven as I'm not certified/licensed.

Excited about the move, only visited once for 4 days, so a leap of faith moving the whole family across the pond.

Cheers

Matt

Howdy!

I currently rent in Cremorne (on the "Dark Side" of the bridge  ;)), and am in the process of moving to Mosman over the next month (my lovely lady and I just bought an apartment - our first home! - so we are currently packing, and all my stuff is in temporary storage for the move)

So provided you are not a serial killer, I'd be only too happy to catch up!

So I'm here - whenever you settle, gimme a yell. I've met another member off this board also who lives in Sydney just around the corner from me.
There seem to be a couple of rather nice peeps here for DIY stuff.

And yes to the wiring - I would be very wary of offering a professional service in wiring without the necessary paperwork being done first; else you'll get yourself into a good deal of trouble.

Sydney is incredibly beautiful. That view of the harbour is one of the most indescribable things I've seen. I've been here for 10 years now (originally from Adelaide, South Australia), and never ever get sick of how beautiful that view is. Surry Hills is great too. I used to live there next door to a Brothel (which made life rather interesting for a few years) with my gf in a lovely terrace house. So many good places to go out and about around there - you'll love it.

Ha Ha, thanks etheory, I can assure you I'm not a serial killer, Ha Ha! I've had the pleasure of meeting several DIY'ers from all over the world in my travels, in both the UK & USA and have been around these parts for years.

Congrats to you and your Mrs on the purchase of your new home, Mosman is lovely from what I've read, though not spent time there, in fact what little time I've spent in Sydney was unfortunately in a backpackers in Kings Cross called "The Funk House", the desk clerk made sure check ins were by by the time she needed to strip in the club next door... yip...

Thanks for the heads up on wiring, it seems to be highly legislated. I'd need to find a certified electrician to sign off any of my work, or work on battery operated/low voltage stuff.

I'll touch base when we arrive and we can arrange to grab a beer!

Cheers

Matt

G'day Mate .. I mean Matt. Hmm, I am also an Adelaide boy now living in Sydney, in Crows Nest also just on the North side of the bridge. Great city, incredibly expensive, our Government have lost the plot, but as long as you keep out of Kings Cross and other unsavoury places, its civilised and safe. Sounds like a beer swilling session coming on  :)
Michael

I've sampled a few of the local beers while staying with a friend in Sydney several years ago.  I am pleased to report that I found several Ozzie stouts worth drinking.  8)

Watch out for the spiders, and snakes, and sharks, and...... but we all must die eventually.  ;D

JR

matta said:
I can assure you I'm not a serial killer, Ha Ha!

I feel I should point out that this is exactly the type of thing a serial killer would say  :)

Good luck with the move Matt, I did a similar thing about three and a half years ago, from rural Ireland to L.A.  It's been the best thing I've ever done.

Back