Wooden Microphone Boxes

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MHanson

Hello all,

I thought there was a talk about wooden boxes for microphones some time back ... but can really find anything other than wine boxes.

I'm looking for some nice boxes for a few microphones, specifically a C-12, 251, and CMV 563. I would like to find some molded/sized appropriately for each mic and don't want to spend stupid money if I can help it.

Any good recommendations?

Thank you,
Michael

I don’t disagree that 400 bucks is not cheap, but it’s a retail product from a company that sells $10k microphones. Maybe there is a company in Shenzen making nice wooden boxes for mics?

Retail pricing is what it is, but I know a few wood shops in LA that would certainly charge a few hundred to make a custom wood box with lining, hinge and clasp.

I personally use harbor freight “pelican” style cases for many of my mics, but I do like wood ones, too, when they are avail.

Maybe Warm or Mic-parts or Mxl can get a low price in boxes?

Thank you all.

I emailed Flea a couple weeks ago but haven't received a response.

I looked at the Studio 939, but am insure if they will fit a C12 or 251 nicely. Seeing a donor body mic in the box made me pause.

I was about to buy some of these until I noticed they were no longer available. https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806027219161.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt

And TAB's are all backordered? https://www.tab-funkenwerk.org/product/c12box/
I'll try calling them tomorrow just to be sure.

I really don't want to pay the $400 price from Telefunken, hence asking for recommendations.

The key is using insert materials that do not decompose.

Any good sources for that? I recently got some nice plastic boxes with a tray to hold 4 together, but they are empty inside, I will need to source cushioning material.
Some Pelican style boxes have foam with cube shaped cuts that don't completely separate the material, which makes it relatively easy to cut out enough cubes to fit mics or other small items. I have a case like that which as far as I can tell still hasn't deteriorated in 20 years, so seems like decent material.
Finding something like that would be nice for these boxes.

Latest posts

Back