Any Hackintosh Builders?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whoops

GDIY Supporter
Hello,
I built a PC using parts recommended for an Hackintosh build.

There's many sites, releases and counter-information on the subject that I get confused and don't know where to start and the procedures.

Anyone with experience on this around here that could help to direct me to the first steps?

Thank you so much

Tonymacx86 is really the place. I would recommend a vanilla install using the tools available at his site (unibeast/multibeast). Do you have access to another Mac or Hackintosh for downloading and creating a USB?

Vanilla means you download the OS directly from apple and install it as if it was a real Mac.. I believe there are guides in the TonyMacx86 forums for how to set up a bootable USB via unibeast. What version are you planning on installing?

Vanilla means you download the OS directly from apple and install it as if it was a real Mac.. I believe there are guides in the TonyMacx86 forums for how to set up a bootable USB via unibeast. What version are you planning on installing?

Thank you so much,
Im gonna check TonyMacx86 website, thanks for that.

I would like to install Catalina.

What OS did you install?

Was it easy to configure the Thunderbolt?

Don't know if it matters, but I had a Catalina install on my desktop PC for a while with an RME Fireface UFX+ connected through Thunderbolt. I don't remember having any trouble setting it up. It just worked out of the box (TB and the Fireface that is). I'm using an ASUS ThunderboltEX 3 expansion card with my ASUS Prime Z390-A mainboard. The RME is on a TB3 to TB2 adapter from Apple (on the Windows side as well).

Initially setting up the Hackintosh itself was a real pain, though. Deleted it a couple of months ago because I didn't really need it.

I'm using a Gibabyte Z390 Designare, it's has to built-in Thunderbolt 3 ports, so no need for an expansion card.
I setup Windows 10 on one hardrive and I'm having problems with Thunderbolt on windows, I have 2 devices that are Thunderbolt 2, 1x Focusrite Red4Pre and 2x UAD Satellites.
I was able to make it recognizes the Focusrite Red4Pre, but the UAD Satellites are still not recognized on Windows.

On the other hardrive, and M5, I will try to install MacOS. I'm a long time MAC user and I really don't like Windows.
I want to have a working Windows system in this PC, but the goal of buying it was always to be able to install and use it with MacOs.

Initially setting up the Hackintosh itself was a real pain, though.

Did you use Tonymac86?
What method did you use for the install?

I used Clover as bootloader and I combed through the internet for all kinds of guides and troubleshooting help (including Tonymac forums). In the end I managed to have a working install by following a mixture of half a dozen of guides as not a single one of them would work on its own - at least with my system. But when I finally did it, it worked really smooth and stable. Performance-wise it was almost as good as on Windows and most of my external hardware worked fine.

I guess I was just curious about MacOS as an operating system as I've never used it before but this whole experience turned out to be an incredible time-waster. Wouldn't do it again... 🥴

I guess I was just curious about MacOS as an operating system as I've never used it before but this whole experience turned out to be an incredible time-waster. Wouldn't do it again... 🥴

I understand, it takes a long time to have a stable and good systems. In my case even just installing Windows on a PC and trying to make the peripherals works is a nightmare.
Installing MAC on a computer it was not suppose to work on should be a even greater odyssey.

But in my case if I'm able to install MacOS and it works fine with everything then it will not be a waste of time because using Windows is the last thing I want for my life

Thank you mate.

Is your Satellite thunderbolt 2? Do you connect it with the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter?
Was it easy to configure the Thunderbolt?
I have a firewire satelite and a FireWire PCI card, no setup was required

I was able to do a Catalina install USB PEN with Unibeast, following the install guide in TonyMac.
I tried to install it and I get stuck in the clover install.
Gets stock in the Apple Logo

F3F6A044-09A1-41BA-8905-31C43C3BF6E1.jpeg

I'm no expert.., but try entering -v in clover (as a boot arg). This allows you to see everything thats going on when booting. Google the command line that makes the boot procedure stop, that should give you some help.

My old mac mini is showing its age... sometimes it hangs while booting up, I can clear it sometimes by holding in the on button. Of course holding it too long shuts down the puter. Then it's a do over.

JR

My old mac mini is showing its age... sometimes it hangs while booting up.

I'm pretty sure you will be able to fix it by re-installing MacOS.
If you start the computer while pressing "ALT" key if will show you different both options, you will have a recover partition there, you can boot from that recover partition and re-install the OS system.

Computers are no different than Cars, they both need service and maintenance

Sadly cars are becoming more like computers every day.

There was an old joke about what traffic would look like if cars were as unreliable as computers are. ;)

JR

Sadly cars are becoming more like computers every day.

There was an old joke about what traffic would look like if cars were as unreliable as computers are. ;)

JR

Depending if they were using Windows or MacOs.
If the cars were as unreliable as a computer running Windows then Traffic would be like a Post-Apocalyptic scenario.

Been running a hack since late 2019. Works great. Im sticking with Catalina for the forseeable future. Probably one of the fastest most stable machines i've ever owned.
(k9900 i9 processor 3ghz 8 core, 64G ram, Raedeon 580 8gb video)
Sadly, i got a mac mini with an M1 chip in it an 4gb ram and it keeps pace with the i9 machine and even does a little better on video...

Back