Anybody miss having a tape remote?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suppose that would need a different approach.
This design emulates a keyboard.
In order to display timecode, you would need MIDI communication.
(Timecould could be read by using the HUI protocol through MIDI.)
I designed a timecode reader based on this principle. (Seconds and minutes only.)
It also switches the recording light in my studio.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0h7rS3LfZE

By the way: here is a stand alone USB powered MTC timecode reader:
https://www.bax-shop.nl/signaalverlichting/dtronics-dt-mtc-tijdcode-display

The only problem I see, is that it is communication TO Reaper only.
So, if you arm a track, the corresponding LED will go on. So far so good.
If you accidentally (out of habit?) unarm the track by clicking the button on the screen with your mouse, the LED will still be on.
So from now on, the LED status for that track will probably be inverted.

Or am I missing something?

That USB display looks interesting.  I have an old Mickie Control I sometimes use for these functions.  Maybe the guts could be repurposed.

abbey road d enfer said:
Don't DAWs have it? Samplitude and Reaper do.

I'm not sure what you mean.  Yes DAWs have these functions and you can display anything on the screen.  But the purpose of this world be a dedicated remote useable away from the DAW and screen.

john12ax7 said:
I'm not sure what you mean.  Yes DAWs have these functions and you can display anything on the screen.  But the purpose of this world be a dedicated remote useable away from the DAW and screen.
I'm not sure. The USB connection suggests a short distance. According to the OP, the purpose is to provide a familiar tactile feel.

Cat cable conectivity could be a definate plus for distance .

As far as the other comments about ergonomics go theres no reason Madrianase's original concept cant be incorporated into a slanted desktop enclosure , the board doesnt require more that 25-30 mm depth in the 19 inch format rack , it could happily sit trolley mounted too .
Incorporating the timecode display would be a nice addition .

Tubetec said:
Cat cable conectivity could be a definate plus for distance .

As far as the other comments about ergonomics go theres no reason Madrianase's original concept cant be incorporated into a slanted desktop enclosure ,
That's what I'm planning.

the board doesnt require more that 25-30 mm depth in the 19 inch format rack , it could happily sit trolley mounted too .
The OP sent me a picture that shows the Arduino mounted at right-angle to the front PCB, via a 3-row 41612 connector. Mounting the Arduino parallel to the front PCB requires  either mounting the Arduino on the side, thus increasing the overall length, or, as I intend to do, use 3 0.1" pitch ribbon cables.

Something like the item pictured below could be easily made up .

You could integrate extra timecode displays or other controls as you see fit , plenty of room for the microcontroler board on a ribbon cable in there also.

Attachments

• Desktop console.jpg
    Desktop console.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Back