Anyone know these Marinair Transformers? (Neve 2254)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadly Mix

Audio-engineer
My plan is simple. Well, simple to understand anyway lol.
I want to swap out the Carnhill transformers from an AML 54F50 pair and replace them with Marinair.

I have the 2254 schematics. I read on here that the 1073 and 2254 use different versions of the Marinair 1166 and that they have a massively difference in impedance and that there's even a difference in the frequency range you'll experience if using a 1073's Marinair 1166 in a 2254 knockoff.

I asked AML how to spot the difference and they said that there are, in fact, 2 different 1166 transformers used in Neve gear. However, the difference is only that the other one isn't Marinair.
They said the 1073's 1166 transformer is the same as the 2254.

That actually makes sense because the 2254 schematic just says "1166".

I was wondering if anyone can confirm whether it is or isn't the same transformer before I buy a pair of 1073 just to take out their 1166 transformers.

The other thing I was wondering is if anyone could help me figure out the exact name of the other 3 transformers.

The schematic says one is a "104" and the other 2 have no name above them on the schematic. It just says:
"312"
--------
SQ
beside them.

I see in pictures of the 2254 internal view that all 3 are the green cube transformers shaped like 9V batteries, but I can't see what's printed on them.

I've found similar looking transformers with names that BEGIN with the same 3 numbers, but all are followed by 2 additional numbers that differ from what it says on the schematic.

Back