Arbiter Drums

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sr1200

Any "across the pond" folks have any good words for arbiter drums?  I've been on a snare hunt and a brass arbiter came up, no lugs just a single crew for tuning (kind cool? would think that compressing teh shell like that would kill resonance, but hey) .  The asking price for it is under $200usd.  If anyones got any feed back on em would be appreciated.

I have never measured one of these in my lab so take my comments with a grain of salt. The concept of one lug, drum tuning has been a holy grail for inventors. Unfortunately it suffers from the same flaws as all mechanical drum tuners (lug torque, head tension, etc), namely that drum edges and heads are not mechanically perfect, so tuning based on mechanical tension being the same "may" not work well. I don't expect any specific problem from the mechanics of the tensioning approach affecting tone, only that everything associated with it, needs to be perfect too, so clear quality could suffer.

Hopefully the drum still has individual lugs for fine clearing. Snares are typically tensioned higher than toms so upper resonances may be muddied by imperfect clearing. OTOH a rigid metal shell for snares is generally a good thing, since less energy is lost to the shell flexing. If there is no facility for fine tensioning around the drum head, I would be apprehensive about what to expect.

JR

Yeah theres no fine tuning mech. on the drum. just that one big ol hose clamp lookin thing on the side.  Ive been poking around for reviews and everyone kinda says the same thing as you guys, great concept but not so great execution. (none of the reviews even mentioned the sound or tone of the drums which i find kind of back handedly "telling")

sr1200 said:
Yeah theres no fine tuning mech. on the drum. just that one big ol hose clamp lookin thing on the side.  Ive been poking around for reviews and everyone kinda says the same thing as you guys, great concept but not so great execution. (none of the reviews even mentioned the sound or tone of the drums which i find kind of back handedly "telling")

I wouldn't try this without measurements, it seems you could add shims around the rim to tweak the local pressure applied by the circumferential tightening strap. Not sure I would spend good money on the chance that I "might" be able to dial it in though.

JR

Yeah I agree, without being able to play with it an tweak it, its not worth the cash (no matter how cheap). Why has no-one come out with a ratchet or sip tie kinda system for heads yet?  Would be akin to using stepped attenuators on a piece of gear.

sr1200 said:
Yeah I agree, without being able to play with it an tweak it, its not worth the cash (no matter how cheap). Why has no-one come out with a ratchet or sip tie kinda system for heads yet?  Would be akin to using stepped attenuators on a piece of gear.
IIRC there was at least one after market system sold to add onto standard drums. Again I have never bothered to bring one into my lab but don't expect it worked very well, but it could be dialed in if lugs were still there.

I repeat my original observation, using mechanical techniques to tension/tune a drum rely upon very precision initial manufacture.

Tympani that provide a full head tensioning system, also have individual lugs for fine adjustment.

FWIW the physics of how drumheads interact with lugs is a little squishy. I am still learning, and not from reading about it.  8)

JR

Back