Are screens turning us into hunch backs?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubetec

Apparently yes they are , according to a study conducted by Irish researchers .
And females are disproportionately  affected too .

I know of someone who spent the last 20 years staring into Pro Tools for 8 hours a day , they suffer a number of related physiological conditions now.

In evolutionary terms this is like engaging reverse,  theres graffiti on a wall near me ,first graphic depicts the quadropedal knuckle dragging hunched ape , second is a  human, upright,  on two legs ,third is a badly hunched human sitting in front of a screen with a big question mark above it .

I think that a sedentary lifestyle in general is responsible for a lot of illnesses and ailments which seem to affect more people now than a generation or two ago

The human body tends to discard things no longer used, and remodel into repeated patterns. Of course evolution operates on a much longer cycle and is powered by reproductive success, so self imposed hunch backs may get selected out by the opposite sex.  ;D

Not a very pretty picture, probably trying to scare young people off their phones by appealing to their vanity when logic does not work.

JR

When I see people  endlessly scrolling facebook nowadays I think of the rat in the cage with a foot pedal to deliver a treat .

Good food choices and some physical work to counteract the head hang of repetitive desk  tasks , snatching any chance for direct sunlight out doors in winter months especially ,  taking the moment to pass the time of day with the people in your vicinity ,all part of my daily routine .

It does seem the studio industry need to take a serious look at the ergonomics of 'screen gawping' for extended periods of time .

Not sure there is an obvious solution.  Phone apps are designed to be addictive.  Young people are developing neck and hand issues  as a result.

In the studio the DAW is ubiquitous.  Staring at a screen all day is the new norm,  to the detriment of the well being of the engineer and also imo to the quality of the music.

I have spent 30+ years refining my monitor, keyboard, mouse, chair, and glasses so I do NOT habitually hunch on the PC.

For some reason simulation programs make me hunch, so I limit my time with them.

I've got my laptop on a little riser for this very reason; raises my eyes and posture.

We weren't designed to stay practically immobile for 12+ hours a day for 30 years...

Mike

The article about exactly this topic is in Dutch, but the 2 pictures will be clear ...  :-\

https://www.nu.nl/werk/6011761/wassen-beeld-toont-toekomst-van-kantoormens-gebocheld-bleek-en-ziek.html

... wax sculpture of how we all will look like in 20 years if we continue...  ::)

Our pro tools recording rig has the mouse, monitor(screen) and keyboard on an adjustable desk. It has a motor for up and down. Aside from standard up and down buttons can store up to 4 location points for height. I have one set for stand up operation.  Every so often l, we run it standing up vs sitting down. Even at sitting down we keep it so we do not hunch.  It’s pretty slick and only ran us 200.00 dollars.

this one.  different price then when we picked ours up but still reasonable for what it is.  only problem is I had to tag it with a max height and to not go beyond that number. This is because we have all the cables neatly zip tied to look pretty and once you pass that number the cables stress and and pull out of the various components.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GGBHQQV/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07GGBHQQV&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyTzRaQUNHSTNOODcwJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDM0NjI5QTk4UDZQMEk1VFkxJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAxMzU2NDZSNjNPREhSWlJUOVomd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWwmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

After half a life time of computer stuff, my most favourite medical practitioner was my Chiropractor.

He could pummel the life back into my 'mousing side' in no time flat  ...  at a time when I was on  the hourly rate :))

Back