Are you British (enough)?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where would you go to get a national insurance number? I don't know, I got sent one automatically because I am a british citizen!

I was surprised to learn that local authorities aren't funded by council tax, but by government tax. I thought that was the whole idea of council tax? But, I was glad to hear students don't get free prescriptions. I hate students!

What questions would you put in there?

I failed it too with 15/24.  I am also a Tyke, though I have lived in the US for nearly 30 years.  I suppose that some of the questions relate to changes that have been made since I left.

If as it says, ony 1 in 7 of Britons can pass the test, of what value is it at all?  Indeed, what difference does it make to the daily life of a Briton to know how local councils are financed and things like that?

David

david-p said:
If as it says, ony 1 in 7 of Britons can pass the test, of what value is it at all?  Indeed, what difference does it make to the daily life of a Briton to know how local councils are financed and things like that?

Nothing new there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCPwiuJ1848 ; start at 19:35 for the punchline, or a minute earlier for more context (although after the Bush-Gore election I expect more people would be able to answer those questions than when the program originally aired).

JD 'the more things change...' B.

njm said:
Where would you go to get a national insurance number? I don't know, I got sent one automatically because I am a british citizen!

I was surprised to learn that local authorities aren't funded by council tax, but by government tax. I thought that was the whole idea of council tax? But, I was glad to hear students don't get free prescriptions. I hate students!

What questions would you put in there?

Local authorities are funded by council tax but only partly. Much more than half comes from central  government. If you look carefully the question asks where do local authorities get most of their funding.

I would ask question like, what does LBW stand for, and when making tea do you the milk or the tea in first.

I thought some of the questions were good like the Poppy Day one for example.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
I would ask question like..... and when making tea do you (put) the milk or the tea in first.

That's the question which results in deportation if you get it wrong.  ;D

When I took up British Citizienship there were was no such exam or the ceremony. I had to take the oath in front of my lawyer. We giggled a lot.

My brother had to do it though and if I am not remembering wrong he scored over 95%. I still have the book in the office. Quite a good read actually.

sahib said:
My brother had to do it though and if I am not remembering wrong he scored over 95%. I still have the book in the office. Quite a good read actually.

That's another good test of being British, knowing how to correctly use the word 'actually' at the end of or as the first word of a sentence.

Another good test is to mouth the drum break from Eastenders.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
sahib said:

That's another good test of being British, knowing how to correctly use the word 'actually' at the end of or as the first word of a sentence.

Another good test is to mouth the drum break from Eastenders.

Cheers

Ian

Thank you Ian.

I'll even do a good slide job on the Eastenders. 8)

I got 18/24 and it looks like I've got the soddin country to myself!

I failed on the stupid stuff, like not knowing there were two emergency numbers.

It would have made more sense to ask questions like do you intend to integrate? 

And do you realise your children may become westernised?

DaveP

DaveP said:
I got 18 and it looks like I've got the soddin country to myself!

I failed on the stupid stuff, like not knowing there were two emergency numbers.

That is a dumb question. There are many Brits over the age of 60 who do not have mobiles phones and will not therefore realise there is an emergency number other than 999.

Personally I do not think the test tests if you are British. Like most tests it tests if you hav learnt enough correct answers to pass the test. In fact I think to show you are British you need to comprehensively fail the test. Real Brits are notoriously blinkered and I therefore suspect this test is a subtle ploy by MI5 to spot potential recruits.

Cheers

Ian

Cheers

Ian

Ian,

Well, I'm over 60 and do have a mobile, and in an emergency I would have rung 999, would I have got an answer?  Doh!

best
DaveP

What an absolute piece of crap!

I am a fairly intelligent, well educated, responsible, aware citizen of the UK for the last 47 years. I failed, - 13/24 . . .

I am deeply ashamed if we subject prospective citizens to this totally inappropriate and downright offensive hangover from the pre-civilrights era.

Bah!

most of the questions have nothing, nada, zilch whatsoever to do with the prospective aim of the test.

..............................?

this was posted on another website. I hope no-one minds me re-posting . .

http://imgur.com/a/4BZlO

DaveP said:
Ian,

Well, I'm over 60 and do have a mobile, and in an emergency I would have rung 999, would I have got an answer?  Doh!

best
DaveP

I believe you would. I think the 112 thing is a legacy of our European membership.

Cheers

Ian

this test seems to be not for UK people but for EU people,

Personally I tried a bit easy to make, because, several questions are on things that're common with other UE countries. Other ones are inside english language courses , and others are inside english literature.
Moreover, in Italy there were and there are some english TV series so people outside UK can see the Britishs' life.

ruffrecords said:
DaveP said:
I got 18 and it looks like I've got the soddin country to myself!

That is a dumb question. There are many Brits over the age of 60 who do not have mobiles phones and will not therefore realise there is an emergency number other than 999.

Personally I do not think the test tests if you are British. Like most tests it tests if you hav learnt enough correct answers to pass the test. In fact I think to show you are British you need to comprehensively fail the test. Real Brits are notoriously blinkered and I therefore suspect this test is a subtle ploy by MI5 to spot potential recruits.

Cheers

Ian

Cheers

Ian

I thought I had the correct answer with '999' for sure!  I got 50%, and I've visited four times (mostly Manchester - maybe that's where i went wrong ;) )

I almost went with 0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Other than that, I thought I'd learned a little watching MI-5 (Spooks to you).  Almost everything else I watch are historical dramas, so not much help, though I might have picked up on that poppies thing if I'd paid more attention to some 20th century dramas.  Anyway, I think MI-5 is looking a better score :)

Fail with 50%.

shame on me.

is it really necessary to memorize UK trivia? Like "what percentage of people claim to attent religous ceremonies on a regular basis"...

How about something much simpler like
"Can you be an employer, or be a special skill employee?"
"Can you bring any specific skills to the country?"

Add some kind of value to your new home, don't be a sponge. :)

Autophase said:
Tom (Formerly republic of North Yorkshire, defector to The Citadel of Manchester)
A traitor !  It's off to Pomfret Castle for you where they will cut off your head!

Back