Avalon U5 power issues

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unchained Dman

Hey all. New to the forums so be gentle please.

I purchased a U5 from "Trusted" party and guess what? So, I am here to get some info on some components. I went through another thread about this unit on a different issue and it help me understand that my unit is blown somewhere.

First of all, visually I can see that R10 is done and I can not identify the color code 100% so if I can start there that would be great.

Second, I have good input power and proper voltage off the secondaries and caps thereafter but thats where it goes haywire. R15 shows 0.99Vdc/ .672Vdc, R9 shows 12Vdc/ 6.5Vdc. From there ZD1 = 6.21Vdc, ZD3 = 0Vdc, ZD2 = 6.5Vdc, ZD4 = 0Vdc. Not really sure where to test the C6-9, C11-14 at for proper measurements but I do know that C11-14 are not getting power at all.

Also, when the U5 is plugged in with an instrument connected, there is no power led or signal leds but the buttons light up and I intermittently get a very distorted signal while listening from the headphones port.

Thanks ahead of time with any help on not having to send in the unit. Burbank may only be 20 miles away but it will take half a day to get there with traffic. Just kidding, id still probably have to ship it (let the postman deal with the traffic).

Attachments

• 20220123_150841.jpg
    20220123_150841.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 5
Hi unchained dman, welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately nobody can't it is hard to help you without schematics or additional info. I think there will be few users here who can intuitively guess the component names and their function.

Your chances for help will increase significantly with more information like service documents, schematics or at least informative photos.

Cheers

Last edited:
ok. R10 is a 4k75 aka 4.75k
secondly the u5 runs off 4 different voltages. The discrete stuff is +/-32vdc the servo stuff runs +/-15vdc.
You should see about 40vdc off the secondaries of the x former.

zd2 and zd4 are in4744a
Zd1 and zd3 are in753a

you should see about 30vdc at one side of r9 and 15vdc on the other end of r9.
You should see about -30vdc at one side of r15 and -15vdc at the other end of r15.

I would bet you either have an issue with a trace coming off the transformer secondaries or you need to recap. If it’s a trace issue, I can show you were to add jumpers and test to ensure the psu is getting the correct ac voltage. If it’s capacitors, Replace the 100uf/50v and the 10uf/63v caps and you should be good. Also insure the zeners are in working order.

Last edited:
Hey all. New to the forums so be gentle please.

I purchased a U5 from "Trusted" party and guess what? So, I am here to get some info on some components. I went through another thread about this unit on a different issue and it help me understand that my unit is blown somewhere.

First of all, visually I can see that R10 is done and I can not identify the color code 100% so if I can start there that would be great.

Second, I have good input power and proper voltage off the secondaries and caps thereafter but thats where it goes haywire. R15 shows 0.99Vdc/ .672Vdc, R9 shows 12Vdc/ 6.5Vdc. From there ZD1 = 6.21Vdc, ZD3 = 0Vdc, ZD2 = 6.5Vdc, ZD4 = 0Vdc. Not really sure where to test the C6-9, C11-14 at for proper measurements but I do know that C11-14 are not getting power at all.

Also, when the U5 is plugged in with an instrument connected, there is no power led or signal leds but the buttons light up and I intermittently get a very distorted signal while listening from the headphones port.

Thanks ahead of time with any help on not having to send in the unit. Burbank may only be 20 miles away but it will take half a day to get there with traffic. Just kidding, id still probably have to ship it (let the postman deal with the traffic).
Any update on this.
I am curious as to how things went? probably waiting on a parts order... feel free to DM me if you have any further questions.

Latest posts

Back