Avalon vt-737sp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha. 200$ is becoming 2000 fast. I do like the sound of it so it’s worth it. Plus im learning more. Also if another comes along cheap I can get another. The attack and release pots have 3 pins and are the same pot so I am gonna solder them like those in the pics.

I had a friend who bought a 737 second-hand in non-working condition for $700, thinking he could put new tubes in and flip for a profit. After I replaced the tubes, light bulbs, molex connector, regulator, and caps, he paid me around $300 for parts and another $350 for labor. Around LA, you're lucky to sell a used 737 for $1500 because most people know used units may soon need work. Maybe he made a couple hundred on the flip.

He would have a nice unit for the money if he wanted to keep it for himself, but if anything else was wrong (pots, meter, switches, etc...) it would have been a loss for sure.

In this case, it's a great but costly learning experience and you'll hopefully wind up with a unit that you use and love. I love 737s on bass (Inst input) and for voiceover work, plus they do look great in the rack to clients.

I hope yours turns out great in the end...

Thanks. No flipping here. Does sound good on bass. Would love 2 of them for singer / acoustic setup. I’m really addicted to finding great equipment at great deals. I parted together a tc electronics m5000 for like a total of 300$. I love it. I’ve gotten re201 space echos for 200$ a pc. Just missing fuses. Got a eatly 5150 script signature head for 200$ also that wasn’t working. Opened it up and noticed connection was corroded. Cleaned it and it booted right up. When I got this I thought it was also something easy but like u said, in the end I think it’s also gonna be a great add on for my studio.

Haha. 200$ is becoming 2000 fast. I do like the sound of it so it’s worth it. Plus im learning more. Also if another comes along cheap I can get another. The attack and release pots have 3 pins and are the same pot so I am gonna solder them like those in the pics.
Pots wire as a voltage divider or as a variable resistor.
Check carefully, not all pots in a 737 utilize all 3 pins/6pins(dual)

Haha. Figured I give everyone a break. Have to mail back pot to audio rehab. They sent wrong pot. Need the bass eq pot. So as soon as they get the return they will send correct pot. Going to Indiana for a wedding so rest of week I will be away. I found two washers to fit over the attack and release pots since last tech/owner drilled out openings to fit those larger pots. The gain pot is also not original but new one should fit ok. Just have to know the wiring. Sent note back with return asking for some guidance. It’s 6 pin like one that’s in there now. Don’t know if I can just swap out wires. They also said they could get me a meter but gonna put off on that yet. Might try to reverse wires to meter to test. Thanks for all the help so far. It’s gonna be a great add on to my studio. Especially for vocals. I recently got a tlm103 and a akg414 that needs work. It gonna pair up nicely. Someone is selling another 737 and he’s down to 1000$ from 1300$. Says needs maintenance. A pair would be great lol

I wonder, does anyone have a photo of the top side of the tube card? I have a unit on hand but don't want to desolder a bunch of wires if I don't have to.

I wonder, does anyone have a photo of the top side of the tube card? I have a unit on hand but don't want to desolder a bunch of wires if I don't have to.
I have a spare tube card. It has failed film caps. I haven't tested it further to figure out what else is not working with it. Let me grab that for you in the morning. Is there a specific area of the board that you need?

I have a spare tube card. It has failed film caps. I haven't tested it further to figure out what else is not working with it. Let me grab that for you in the morning. Is there a specific area of the board that you need?
An overall shot of the top side of the board with the component labels would be great. It’s really hard to view since it’s hidden under the motherboard. For example, I want to know the names of the two relays on there. I assume the relay near tube V1 is labeled K1, and the other one is labeled K2, but it would be nice to have a photo to match.

Back