Avid Xmon

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ubxf

Hello,
i'm working with an Avid Xmon that is acting up one speaker in 7.1 set started with a low hum, then another one with also a low hum and a 7 or 8k steady whine. The others are ok. If i switch to the small monitors one of the aura tone has intermittent static. Could it be that capacitors are at the end of their life.
I didn't open it yet but wanted to see if anyone had similar problems.

Man, even my cool old digi/Avid contacts are like "How about those Yankees?!" when I ask questions about issues with a few XMON patients around that are ailing. Issues like L-R imbalance mainly. No cal pot for that, only for the cheesy meters on the controller!
And the new XMON hardware will not play well with the old controller. EOL, baby
We killed an F5 in a room. I emailed two F5 owners that could have the hardware for free and they decided that it was not worth their time to even answer me. Oh, fwell.
At the bitter end there was a Dangerous sitting on the controller patched around at the bay.
I will say test well, patch around if you can to make sure it is not a wiring issue. I have had some weird wiring issues lately from 10+ years old installs that are tough to find and kill.
I am not aware of any XMON whisperers out there.
Mike

Like most/all Avid products the Xmon was a unreliable product from Day One. Today I suggest just throwing it in the dumpster.

Bri who HATES Avid.....

Wiring.
Folks, it's not that we or someone else effed-up years ago on an install, well maybe sometimes, but like I said things change with wiring or a screw gets put in a wall to mount a platinum album award that upsets the audio world.
I look at system wiring much closer these days when there are "equipment" problems. Isolate, isolate, isolate!
Goodonya, ubxf. seek and destroy

Brian, I have happy XMON folks still operating, totally milking EOL. It ain't an analog console, but they got/get the job done.

Sod the XMON, I cannot find the LEGO car wheels that AVID used for the cheesy rolling document tray any more. Of course, that wheel size is the one that LEGO dropped! And I haven't the time to check RC sites for a better wheel. LEGO car wheels used on a recording console?!?

But what is that is the dang XMON connected to?
A D-Command control surface that, at least in my realm of patients, was supplied with a rolling document tray made with LEGO wheels. These are close as I find, but I would have to accurately drill-out the plastic motorcycle axle to make them fit the fasteners in the trays. I've also looked for plumbing gaskets that I can fit on the LEGO rims, but, theres just so much time in one's life
My past pics of the wheels are lost in over a decade of photos, no time to look. . . I'm visiting a patient this week and put a reminder to post a pic of the LEGO wheels with blown tyres.
You never saw the LEGO wheel D-Command doc tray?
"C'mon man!" Senator Joe Biden

Last edited:
Hello,
i'm working with an Avid Xmon that is acting up one speaker in 7.1 set started with a low hum, then another one with also a low hum and a 7 or 8k steady whine. The others are ok. If i switch to the small monitors one of the aura tone has intermittent static. Could it be that capacitors are at the end of their life.
I didn't open it yet but wanted to see if anyone had similar problems.
I believe the tray you speak of was aftermarket from icontray.com, which seems to be gone. IIRC that product was built and sold by a former Avid guy, Thomas Graham, who has since moved on ( maybe @ Dolby now??). If you can find him, maybe he has some advice- or change out all the wheels for a new size?

I believe the tray you speak of was aftermarket from icontray.com, which seems to be gone. IIRC that product was built and sold by a former Avid guy, Thomas Graham, who has since moved on ( maybe @ Dolby now??). If you can find him, maybe he has some advice- or change out all the wheels for a new size?

Thanks for the provenance regarding the tray! Great powder coating and solid manufacture- I've kept them rolling along until the supply of specific LEGO wheels has dried-up.
I am searching silicone gaskets as tyre replacements. The plastic "rims" are fine.
Mike

i'm using Xmon with an S6, what else besides the Mtrx can i use if i get rid of the Xmon
Sorry I have no suggestions. Like all Avid products, no support. Through it into the trash after a year or two and buy all new products.... with no support.

Bri

Back