Beginner Power Supply Advice / Comparison (1176 & Neve content)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atticmike

Hey,

Got exactly two things on my mind for now:

1: How is the difference between powering a compressor such as the 1176 compared to a neve 1073? As far as I've understand, the 1176 has the PSU already on board and doesn't need any voltage trimming / adjustment and therefore, the transformer goes directly to the powersection of the board without any adjustment apart from the proper wiring?

And with preamps such as the neve 1073, the power section has the be procured additionally and set to the respective value that's been given by the project's creator? Let's say I get the whistlerock PSU and wire it up with my neve clones, I gotta adjust the PSU to the neves's voltage?

Also, can anyone help me out choosing the rail's values for the whistlerock PSU?: http://www.whistlerockaudio.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=43&products_id=107 Kind of lost there.

I've been been pestering people with questions that arose by the lack of my basic knowledge and think it'd be best to man up and post it officially on the board.

2: When wiring two 1176 clones at the same time with a single power transformer, how am I gonna go through with it? Just linking the cables from the first unit's power section to the holes of the second unit's power section and then finish up to the power transformer or split the cable of the transformer at the very beginning and link em to both powersections separately?

I greatly appreciate any help because this has bugged me for a long time.

Oh, and here is a picture of my arrangement, if anybody cares about a misalignment on my behalf, feel free to correct my approach:

arrangement.jpg

Mike

> Got exactly two things on my mind

May be one two many?

Are you asking about the 1176? Or the 1073? Or some combo-1176-1073?

What power (Voltage and Current) does a 1073 need?

Did my best to wrap everything up properly so yeah it ended up being a tad more elaborate.

About the first question, I was comparing the power section approach of an 1176 with a neve 1073 preamp.

Do you want me to rephrase?

Actually, the exact 1073 voltage wasn't to be debatable, just the basics around those units but I'll look it up, just give me a sec.

PRR said:
> Got exactly two things on my mind

May be one two many?

Are you asking about the 1176? Or the 1073? Or some combo-1176-1073?

What power (Voltage and Current) does a 1073 need?

> choosing the rail's values for the whistlerock PSU?... Kind of lost there.
> exact 1073 voltage  ... I'll look it up

You are "lost" picking rail-values and you don't even know what the 1073 needs?

-------------------------------

> I was comparing the power section approach of an 1176 with a neve 1073 preamp.

Power is "usually" transformer, rectifier, filter/regulator.

The 1176 is a standalone box. It seemed convenient to include rectifier et al on the same board as all the audio.

The 1073 is a module used in LARGE broadcast studios and control rooms. One goal was that a control-room can stay on the air through a black-out, and at the time this meant a big truck battery floating on a wall-powered charger, this power distributed to all the modules. That's not how folks today work; but that was the designer's guide.

I don't wish to do your research for you but I wonder why you have picked a 4-rail power supply for a one-rail preamp.

PRR said:
> choosing the rail's values for the whistlerock PSU?... Kind of lost there.
> exact 1073 voltage  ... I'll look it up

You are "lost" picking rail-values and you don't even know what the 1073 needs?

-------------------------------

> I was comparing the power section approach of an 1176 with a neve 1073 preamp.

Power is "usually" transformer, rectifier, filter/regulator.

The 1176 is a standalone box. It seemed convenient to include rectifier et al on the same board as all the audio.

The 1073 is a module used in LARGE broadcast studios and control rooms. One goal was that a control-room can stay on the air through a black-out, and at the time this meant a big truck battery floating on a wall-powered charger, this power distributed to all the modules. That's not how folks today work; but that was the designer's guide.

I don't wish to do your research for you but I wonder why you have picked a 4-rail power supply for a one-rail preamp.

Sorry that I've made a non-participating impression.

I'll be doing 2 x 4 pre boxes (neve & api).

For the api 312s, I was told by 3nity to pick 18 and trim it down to 17.5. With the neves, I haven't made a find yet.

And by what you've posted about the 1176 and the way pres are powered in a broadcasting environment, the mystery is now solved :)

All I gotta do now is to figure how much the neves need.

And about my 1176 parts arrangement, what are your thoughts about it? Can I leave it the way it is (magnets's centers pointing away from each other) or is there anything I may have to allocate?

Mike

Back