Behringer strikes again ! 369

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got to be the transformers as well as the caps of the era. 33609’s have a topend boost but also have a glue in the low end like what you talk about.

So you bought one or just tried it out?
Got one to review. Still debating wether to keep it (and do a few mods, caps and maybe trafos). I've also got to poke around inside with the scope to see how much HF out of band garbage from the switchmode PSU is leaking into the signal path.

Also, it's quite an achievement for the price but I doubt the switches will hold as long as elma (they're not as much fun to turn for sure).

Somehow I think I might prefer a couple of the other cheap chinese clones, which sounded quite colored but very vibey.

I looked in there with a scope. The switchmode supply is situated on the same PCB as the audio circuitry. Some of its HF garbage is definitely leaking into the sidechain and audio signal path. Does anyone have an idea how bad this potentially is in a design like this?

The unit has got an awful lot of carbon pots for manual calibration. Stock calibration is very good, but what happens in a few years with drift? This is sold as a consumer device with no serviceable parts inside, no technical manual, no calibration instructions...

I wonder how the unit would sound with better caps, tantalum caps where applicable and a nice, clean PSU...

I looked in there with a scope. The switchmode supply is situated on the same PCB as the audio circuitry. Some of its HF garbage is definitely leaking into the sidechain and audio signal path. Does anyone have an idea how bad this potentially is in a design like this?

The unit has got an awful lot of carbon pots for manual calibration. Stock calibration is very good, but what happens in a few years with drift? This is sold as a consumer device with no serviceable parts inside, no technical manual, no calibration instructions...

I wonder how the unit would sound with better caps, tantalum caps where applicable and a nice, clean PSU...
was curious about this & now I am informed! bravo!

I'd replace that SMPS with a clean Linear Regulated PSU.

Not sure it applies here but worth checking: there's a thread on DIYA about using a Behringer UHD audio interface for audio measurements where we really hacked it up. Someone found that the circuit for Phantom Power was messing up the signal path. I found an easy way to test this and fix it by removing a cap or something like that. Caveat: an external unit for Phantom Power must then be used.

Back