Bellari RP520 Tube Mic Pre

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JohnRoberts said:
("no highs no lows, must be a bose")
I thought it went:  Bose... Better sound through marketing.  ;D  I have a pair of 901s, on pedestals with processor,  but never got around to buying and installing 18 foam surrounds.

The piezos didn't sound that bad with their plastic horns removed.
Motorola Piezos get a bad rap because they are/were marketed as "full range, no crossover necessary". Do it like that, and they are 2.5K icepicks in the ears. A resistor across the piezo and a small series cap feeding it, and you can limit the response to 10K and up, as that is what they do best.

That is what ended up in my '71 Plymouth Duster in the late '70s, 6 piezos, along with a pair of 12's and 6's. Yeah, I was young, but Dark Side Of the Moon at a billion and two dB sounded amazing. As did anything from Steely Dan, both were mixes that sounded great on even the worst systems.

Gene

Gene Pink said:
I thought it went:  Bose... Better sound through marketing.  ;D  I have a pair of 901s, on pedestals with processor,  but never got around to buying and installing 18 foam surrounds.
Motorola Piezos get a bad rap because they are/were marketed as "full range, no crossover necessary". Do it like that, and they are 2.5K icepicks in the ears. A resistor across the piezo and a small series cap feeding it, and you can limit the response to 10K and up, as that is what they do best.

That is what ended up in my '71 Plymouth Duster in the late '70s, 6 piezos, along with a pair of 12's and 6's. Yeah, I was young, but Dark Side Of the Moon at a billion and two dB sounded amazing. As did anything from Steely Dan, both were mixes that sounded great on even the worst systems.

Gene
IIRC the piezos are capacitive (in fact 0.15uF in series with 15 ohms) so preferentially respond to HF signals.

Yes properly applied piezos  can be OK.  Back last century when I was in charge of crafting the Peavey version entry-level packaged PA we used a 10" and piezo in the speakers and they didn't suck.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
The more likely basis for the wait 50 hours and it will sound better is some merchant trying to get customers who don't hear the magic right away to leave him alone. Over time our ears will adapt somewhat to response errors if we are only listening to one system.

Exactly, after 50 hours you can't remember what the gear sounded like *before* you did the mods, so of course it sounds "better".

Latest posts

Back