Best way to cut 2-1/2" extruded aluminum rod?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trans4funks1

I just bought a 12" long by 2-1/2" dia. extruded aluminum rod to try doing some turning on a lathe.

What's the best way to cut the rod into 1-1/2" long segments?

A gravity action metal band saw?

Thanks.

Hi,

if you cut the bar with a saw you will want to face the sawn surface true on one end before you do anything else. As a surface to measure from.

For making just a few things with a small lathe this will be fine. Mass production would be different.

Nice sharp HSS and plenty of speed.

Take care and don't forget the eye protection!

The easiest and least expensive way would be an angle grinder. You won't be able to make a straight cut but you can get through it.

You could also get a cutoff saw. This will make a straighter cut but still not perfectly square. I have both.

A band saw would be ideal but they are big and expensive. To get things straight I have a combination disc and belt sander. It is one of the best purchases I've made.

Friction cutting (angle grinder, unless special aluminium discs are used, which are kind of like a wood saw, i.e. the cut as opposed to grind) will not work. The aluminium clogs and melts into the porus angle grinder cutting discs (which cut through steel happily through friction, not with a cutting edge)

This is why Aluminium can be cut with table saws and routers. It really is more like cutting wood than steel.

So....... for that thickness. yes, a industrial metal band saw will work (do not try and put round bar through a woodworking band saw, you will loose your fingers). The best would be a "cold saw" which is like a drop saw but very slow and the blades have sharp teeth. and lots of cutting fluid.

I assume parting off the short bits on a home lathe is not an option as 2-1/2" will not go through the throat of the chuck.

(Sorry for all the parenthesis!)

Thanks everyone.

I found some questions and answers for the same question asked by others at a few machining websites and I ended up using an old blade on my wood working chop saw and it cut right through the aluminum.

I have a metal chop saw, but as has been mentioned the abrasive wheel is unsuitable for use with Aluminum.

I had planned to ask a metal shop to use an industrial band saw for me as a service but I found enough people had reported that a chop saw would work well that I gave it a try and it did fine.

FWIW, I had everything clamped in place securely.

I am preparing the material for work on a small lathe so I can learn how to use a metal lathe.

I can fit 2-1/2" dia. in fine but I can't figure out how to cut the rod into pieces when you are also trying to support it on the other end. The lathe and workshop I have access to doesn't have a work steady rest so I would have to use a live center to hold a 12" rod.

Thank You.

trans4funks1 said:
I have a metal chop saw, but as has been mentioned the abrasive wheel is unsuitable for use with Aluminum.

You just have to get an abrasive wheel made for aluminum. I change out the abrasive wheel on mine all the time. The ones for aluminum work well. They are only about $10 USD and last a while.

I've been thinking about getting a saw blade for aluminum to put in the cutoff saw but the blades are almost as much as the saw. I think I'll probably get a cleaner cut but it's pretty expensive to find out. That and I have cutoff wheels which would go to waste. Maybe when I go through them I'll get a saw blade.

I've come up with a technique for lubricating the cut that is nice if you don't have a fluid system. I take cutting wax or tap wax in stick form and let it rest (but hold it) right at the cut. It melts as needed and doesn't make a mess.

I use a metal cutting blade on my miter saw to cut aluminum extrusion.

A 2 1/2" diameter round may heat up so perhaps some lubrication to cool the blade would be helpful.

JR

I used an old cheap saw blade that I no longer found satisfactory for wood. It cut the aluminum better than it cut the wood.

I used Boeing T9 on the blade.

Latest posts

Back