• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Black Market Rules / Caveat Emptor (buyer beware)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lindes said:
Well, grounding is not. The mains ground cable is connected to the metal housing of the XLRs
That is not incorrect.

Well, XLR metal housing are already connected to ground with the rack case. Why connect them again to main ground cable and not pin 1 of XLR ?

lindes said:
, not on pin 1...
That is incorrect. Do you mean Pin is not connected at all?

Yes, as you can see on pictures I posted, the main grounding wire is only connected to input xlr metal housing, not pin1 of the XLR.

lindes said:
And the shield of the input/output transfo's is not welded to the base (means not shield).
Do you mean tehre is no galvanic connection between the shield and ground, or do you mean the case is not connected?

The upper shield cap is not connected, not soldered, just put down on the transformators. There's no connection between the base (who's connected to ground and the upper cap.

Attachments

• _1001335.JPG
    _1001335.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 67
  • _1001336.JPG
    _1001336.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 36
  • _1001338.JPG
    _1001338.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 60
I need to unsolder all the transfos, solder the shield cap to the shield base, redo the grounding, do the asymetrical input mod, etc. Hope all works fine after that and finally have the "good sounding" promised... Didn't have the time to do this yet; servicing a TL Audio PA2001 at the moment.

That is not incorrect.
Sorry, the mains ground is connected to the chassis ONLY through the xlr connector shell?

That is absolutely incorrect. Mains ground goes to it’s own bolt or stud directly on the chassis that is not shared with any other mounting (ie: transformer bolt, hardware bolt etc…)

Protective grounding the chassis through an xlr connector which may or may not have a solid electrical connection to the chassis is absolutely unsafe practice. I can’t think of an electrical safety body in the world that would allow that.

No, it's connected to the case. I also do this sometimes, when i'm not sure the XLR's body has good contact with the case. This is a picture of that preamp:

View attachment 88978
Ah mea culpa- that was definitely not clear in the original statement of “mains ground connected to xlr” but o get it now.

I had not seen the picture of the guts.

*whrew* I have seen so many bad/dangerous safety grounding issues come across my bench I am easily triggered 😆

Depending on your standards and experience, many DIY pieces of gear are absolutely worse than the professionally manufactured variants. Considering how many beginners build pieces, it shouldnt really come as a surprise. I used to service DIY builds but after so many issues with units being built to a poor standard (and me then having to take responsibility for it as the tech) I just dont think its worth the hassle. That doesnt make the unit a scam, its just something to think about. Sort of like when someone says a car "runs good". Often that means it still moves, not that they actually have any measurements backing up an assumption. If someone says "its quiet" but have no measurements or a noisy studio environment, that doesnt mean they are being dishonest, it just means they dont have any measurements and it doesnt subjectively bother them. YMMV, but something to think about when buying unknown DIY builds. :)

In light of buyer beware, has anyone received a message like this before?
I posted a "WTB" post here, and got this message from a new member, but it looks... phish-y.
Grammar is all weird, it's asking me to message someone outside of this forum, and he mentioned my item as if it were a fill-in-the-blank field.
I could be wrong, but hoping anyone here might have some insight.
If you're this user, and you're legit, well... prove it? I guess?
Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 2.56.53 PM.png

I posted a "WTB" post here, and got this message from a new member, but it looks... phish-y.
Grammar is all weird, it's asking me to message someone outside of this forum, and he mentioned my item as if it were a fill-in-the-blank field.
View attachment 89347
Thats absolutely a scam. Forum has been getting more of these types of bot attack's lately.

View attachment 89347
He sent me this exact thing just now except for some supposed Tuchel connectors. A few weeks back, user "Jack A" with 0 posts tried a similar scam. I actually emailed and the guy sent a photo straight off Reverb.com. Probably the same person running these scams. They aren't bots, just some scammers who know a thing or two about audio and are pretty bad at scamming.

This is clearly a scam. Good to know!
I guess this guy needs a mod treatment.:ninja:
Mod treatment? We moderators can only police forum behavior, based on Ethan's finite rules list.

We have bent over backwards to educate forum member about the risks of private transactions with people they don't know.

We even changed the new members avatars to red as in a warning (hey it's a new guy).

We delete a number of scam/spamers every day trying to sign onto the list, this is a target rich environment for scammers, so caveat emptor... Buyer beware.

JR

We delete a number of scam/spamers every day
That's what I meant by mod treatment. For me, the situation is clear, this is exactly the scam that has appeared several times recently.

That was not meant as criticism, rather the opposite. The new security measures and information policy are definitely going in the right direction. Unfortunately, they are based on a real necessity, otherwise you wouldn't have done it.

If you evaluate the situation regarding the mentioned member differently, that is also ok for me.

Thank you for your work and time.

That's what I meant by mod treatment. For me, the situation is clear, this is exactly the scam that has appeared several times recently.
I bend over backwards to follow the rules as set up by Ethan. It would be very tempting to ban people who disagree with me.

We ban spammers but Ethan's rule just says that spam will be deleted. I am OK with banning known spammers. Like cockroaches, there is rarely just one spam post.

Ethan's rules said:
3. Topics involving the exchange of money should be kept only to the Black Market or White Market.
So be warned I guess this means no private transactions, outside those two specific forums.
That was not meant as criticism, rather the opposite. The new security measures and information policy are definitely going in the right direction. Unfortunately, they are based on a real necessity, otherwise you wouldn't have done it.
Tweaks,,, the rules have not changed.
If you evaluate the situation regarding the mentioned member differently, that is also ok for me.
He has been brought to our attention but many member's complaining about other members are just noise.
Thank you for your work and time.
I am thankful for the forum tools that flag bad actors... I just "cleaned" two would be spammers trying to sign up a few minutes ago.

JR

While not about audio but inline with the caveat emptor theme... I have started accumulating seeds for next years vegetable garden... Last year I had a bunch of cheap seeds that did not germinate so decided to pay a little more for premium seeds (Burpee) this year. I forgot to order some cucumber seeds, so rather than incur a new shipping and handling charge for just one seed package, I ordered some Burpee cucumber seeds from amazon to combine with another order for free shipping (I'm cheap).

Inspection revealed that the one package of Burpee seeds I bought from Amazon had an expired sell by date (nov/21). All the other new seeds purchased direct from Burpee have sell by dates of 11/22. Not worth the hassle to return them, but I did write a review on Amazon revealing the expired sell by date.

Caveat Emptor....

JR

[edit as a fan of the scientific method I have decided to plant a few and see if they germinate, I have plenty of time before the last frost /edit]

[update- a couple of the expired sell by seed are sprouting so still viable... /update]

Last edited:
I purchased some win parts from Hockett927 some days ago and 4 x Grey Sifam 21mm is among the items he showed me that he wanted to part out with. Maybe you should text him to know if it is still available.. Here's his email [email protected]

Another clown by the name of kabukicrack (0 posts) messaged me with an offer of the exact thing I was looking for.
How convenient!

Back