Brian May Challenge

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ruffrecords said:
Brian MAy has posted some videos of him playing classic tracks and invited anyone to create a video of them jamming along with him. There are some great ones out there and ore being added everyday. A great way to beat the lock down blues:

A starter:

[urlhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgv2Cp1E2RA[/url]

Cheers

ian

this is awesome :) thanks Ian

Thanks for sharing Ian! The one titled "Brian May teaches Bohemian Rhapsody" sure got my attention.

AusTex64 said:
Thanks for sharing Ian! The one titled "Brian May teaches Bohemian Rhapsody" sure got my attention.

i forgot his name, but there is a guy in youtube, (pretty old video), plays Bohemian Rhapsody with a guitar.... AMAZING!

I've been loving these recent collabs!

But since I'm hunkered down I've been pondering the actual workflow because latency between the various performers means "real time" performances are impossible.

Hence I ASSume there is a well planned method to ship files around to add the overdubs.  Reminds me of decades ago when 2" tape shipped via Fedex to another studio to get, say, string overdubs done.

I was clicking channels a couple nights ago and saw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbZtFKgqXIs

I was shocked for a moment at how they over came latency, but after a moment I realized it had to be various file parts being circulated and added onto.

In this one, it's obviously done at different times and then assembled.  Look at the guys in the second and fourth panes and edited:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRwQSuCsL2c&list=RDvgv2Cp1E2RA&index=2

I am NOT *****ing about the final results!!!  I've just been out of modern production for awhile (semi-retired) and am VERY curious about workflows of these sorts in year 2020.

Used to be you had Avid systems costing six figures and skilled operators making six figures/year to do this sort of stuff!  lol

Bri

@Brian,

Yes, the first few I looked at had me scratching my head asking how did they sync that over thousands of miles and god knows what pings.

The answer is they didn't. Brian played his bit and challenged others to play along. I have no idea what he imagined he would get but clearly people have collaborated extensively and came up with some first class renditions adding their track(s) and passing the result onto the next in line. Finally someone put it all together. What a brilliant way for artists to work. At least time syncing is not a problem with digital!!

Cheers

Ian

I've watched these vids and I must say there's a lot of talent out there.
The only one who seems not on par is the guy with the grey hair, he looks like he's 72 yo, could have been a doctor, or a physicist, probably craved all his life becoming a famous guitar hero, now he's retired he can satisfy his ego playing with real, if not famous, musicians.
He should know better than exposing himself. He's not bad, but I think he should concentrate on getting weekend warrior gigs.
I wonder why these gifted young musicians accepted him in...

;)

abbey road d enfer said:
I've watched these vids and I must say there's a lot of talent out there.
The only one who seems not on par is the guy with the grey hair, he looks like he's 72 yo, could have been a doctor, or a physicist, probably craved all his life becoming a famous guitar hero, now he's retired he can satisfy his ego playing with real, if not famous, musicians.
He should know better than exposing himself. He's not bad, but I think he should concentrate on getting weekend warrior gigs.
I wonder why these gifted young musicians accepted him in...

;)

And his guitar looks like a piece of home made junk. Like it was made out of a fireplace mantel or something...

Sheesh...

That's how some electronic music artists have been working all along. Exchanging files.

---
For your amusement only, here's a completely different type of challenge. A Buddhist monk chanting 'Yellow Submarine'
https://youtu.be/QLELtdrRyhs

Script said:
For your amusement only, here's a completely different type of challenge. A Buddhist monk chanting 'Yellow Submarine'
I fail to see the amusement part in it.
If he's serious, he's pathetic, if he's ironic, it fails. In both cases he's ridiculous, which doesn't make me laugh, not even smile; I pity him. For me, the song is an all-time low in the Beatles carrier.

80hinhiding said:
Abbey,

Your critique of the monk is pretty harsh in my opinion.  Calling him pathetic, ridiculous, and taking pity on him?
I persist. I had doubts, but I see he is taking it seriously.  :eek:

he does Queen's We Will Rock You live.    Seems as though the audience enjoyed it.
There are audiences with bad taste all over the world.

I still think it's nice to see people just playing regardless of their ability.
I have nothing against people who exercise their talents (or lack thereof) in the privacy of home and family, in fact I encourage it in the hope they'll improve, but inflicting this to an audience is pretentious.

abbey road d enfer said:
I persist. I had doubts, but I see he is taking it seriously.  :eek:
There are audiences with bad taste all over the world.
I have nothing against people who exercise their talents (or lack thereof) in the privacy of home and family, in fact I encourage it in the hope they'll improve, but inflicting this to an audience is pretentious.

r u the music God  ;D ;D ;D

abbey road d enfer said:
Far from it! I have too much respect for music and too much indifference for god.  :)

good to know !
lets hear some music of urs  8)

Latest posts

Back