Budda Superdrive 80 repair woes

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tubetec said:
Sounds like you might have your buddies amp sorted , I hope he at least brings you round a six pack of beer and a baggie of bud for all your trouble . Yeah theres always a DOH moment when you end up sorting out ball buster of an amp , I was going to suggest incense ,sitting contemplatively and a prayer to the little guy with the podgy belly for inspiration .Anyway your a little older but wiser than before now and you'll spot a funky CF circuit quicker next time around , all the best and let us know how things turn out in the end with it .

hahaha, yes, maybe a nice bottle of whiskey after this whole ordeal.  ;D It was frustrating because the amp would be stable for days, and then he would receive it, and it would start freaking out again. I spent most of my time just trying to make the failure mode repeatable, that I didnt do my due diligence and look at everything closely enough. I hope anyone that reads this thread in the future will not make the same mistake. :)

Kingston said:
What was that electrical law again - by a member of our forum - 99% of the times when the problem doesn't turn out to be a mechanical failure - it will turn out to be a mechanical failure in the end.

LOL, duly noted.  ;D

pvision said:
Anecdotally, many injuries caused by working on valve gear are caused whilst recoiling from the shock. If there's something to hit your head on, you will do. Might sound like a joke - but it's not

Nick Froome

Hi Nick, interesting. This may be a good excuse for me to clean up my shop floor. I have many things behind the bench that could easily be tripped over if I fell backwards. My workbench is pretty clear.

Tubetec said:
Touch wood ,never got shocked from a powered valve unit ,once or twice I did get a tingle from undischarged PSU lytics ,and on one ocassion way way  back I accidently shorted across  live and neutral solder joints with my finger tip ,left two little burn marks and a slightly odd smell in the air . Tesla used do all kinds of crazy stuff with voltage way back ,of course he was always carefull that the input/output path wasnt across his heart  . Valid point about the convulsive effect of electric shock though.
Was a guy and his son in a place I used work years ago ,they did painting and other odd jobs around the place ,one day while painting the outside of the building they moved the scaffold they were working on too close to overhead high tension cables ,there was a spark ,the father was thrown clear ,the son caught the full force of it ,apparently the soles of his shoes were melted into the ground.
Always respect the power (of electricity).

Yes I had a similar experience. Got shocked by about 400v DC from PSU caps that did not discharge. I learned that not all modern production amps have Discharge resistors on them that way (it was a peavy valveking). Thankfully it was just across a finger. Left a small burn and a funny smell.

Wow, yes definitely dont want to use metal ladders or tools near HT power cables. Hope they were okay!

Intermittent faults that appear and disappear can be a real challenge. Anyone in the repair game is bound to get a bounce back every once in a while. Most important thing is that the customer at least gives the technician the the opportunity to rectify the situation ,rather than saying nothing and then embarking on a social media campaign to try and hurt the persons business.

In all the years Ive been in servicing ,actually there was only one customer who stands out in my mind for the wrong reasons .
Theres was a particular brand of amp made in the Uk in the early to late 80's , they were always notorious for having alot of gain.
Anyway this particular guy brought me in one ,a 30 watt transistor based unit ,10 inch speaker .His complaint was it was cutting out after being played for a while . Amp was a bit of a pig to work on ,several separate boards all linked by a wiring loom cable tied together .I tested the amp for sound ,seemed to be working fine for what it was ,anyway I spent the day carefully dismantling and going over every solder joint , found nothing wrong. Anyhow put it all back together ,powered up the amp ,left it on continuously for a day or two,all good, eventually called the customer and told the guy that Id been over the amp with a fine tooth comb and I hadnt found any fault with it  ,I charged the guy the basic minimum bench fee and he took the amp back .A month later he comes back in with the amp ,still faulty according to the customer .I tore the thing down again, checked everything ,in the end I adjusted the bias on the output transistors, amp ran a little cooler in the absence of signal and gave marginally more output. This time I charged a fee that reflected the time I had spent on it .Guy phones me back a week later again ,screaching and roaring at me threatening to bring me to court saying I made his amp worse . I did a bit of looking on the internet found the site by the original designer offering a modification service for owners of said range of amps ,about half a dozen modifications were needed at a cost which including shipping ,parts and labour would have amounted to a couple of hundred pounds sterling ,just not financially viable in my mind .Turned out all along the owner was'nt even a musician,a friend of his had been using a modern acoustic guitar with high output active preamp, which the amp was never designed for . He seemed to think that because his input gain was only upto 2 on the dial and the thing was cutting out there was a problem ,30 watts Id really only regard as a practise amp . In the end I phoned him up ,pointed him towards the designers site ,said there was nothing more I could do for him or his amp, I  wasnt offering a refund and that I was prepared to go to court if nessesary .At this point he said, in his creepy voice, aww what a shame a 'nice young guy' like you  will end up with a damaged business reputation over this . At this point I put the phone down and never heard anything more about it again . ;D

The workplace accident I mentioned earlier , the father lived ,the son was killed instantly ,a sad old story for sure .

Latest posts

Back