Building a Faraday's cage ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you getting your input up to peak near 0db FS? If you are and the hum is still at -90 that should be way below what you can hear at normal listening levels no matter what the noise is, hiss, hum, fleetwood mac, whatever!

Does the noise change as you move the guitar around the room? If it doesnt then its probably not coming from the pickups or your lead. What are you plugging your guitar into? Amp? DI?

M@

[quote author="mattmoogus"]Are you getting your input up to peak near 0db FS? If you are and the hum is still at -90 that should be way below what you can hear at normal listening levels no matter what the noise is, hiss, hum, fleetwood mac, whatever!
[/quote]

Yes if normalized to 0dB the buzz is at ~ -80.
That analyzer image i posted is of a clean signal - for a good rock/metal sound it has to be put through an amp and then the buzz becomes clearly audible.

[quote author="mattmoogus"]Does the noise change as you move the guitar around the room? If it doesnt then its probably not coming from the pickups or your lead. What are you plugging your guitar into? Amp? DI?
[/quote]

Yes it changes if i move closer to some source like a power cable or crt monitor turned on.

[quote author="mattmoogus"]What are you plugging your guitar into? Amp? DI?
[/quote]

Amp for playing and DI for capturing frequencies for the picture. The buzz is present in both situations.

Back in the day, Fran Manzella built the Skyline Studio C with a Faraday cage made from brass screening, like a window screen. Like Keith sed, it was for electrostatic shielding, because they were close to the Empire State building. The cage was connected to the star ground. I believe that MRI rooms use sheet metal for the cage.

Boswell's trick is good- I use an off-station tuned AM radio to do the same. There must be a quiet spot in the bedroom where the noise is reduced. Have you tried adding a second track of noise, out of phase, to cancel? I would be concerned SLEEPING in a room where there was so much electrical field!!

Latest posts

Back