Building a stupid simple monitor switcher

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I hear about the need for a monitor switcher, SPL products always come to mind.

https://spl.audio/en/spl-produkt/control-one/
I think Broadcast Tools. I just got a SS4.1 for $100 from the bay. It has provision for remote switching so you can hide it.

The two 16 way switchers I have for my console also terminates each unused input with 10K resistors. Nice touch.

I recently asked Joe Malone (JLM Audio) if he would consider adding a companion board to his 8 way relay switcher for source selection using momentary action switches. He said he was developing a monitor level relay controller based on a arduino. He said programming in source selection switching using momentary action switches would be relatively easy. I can’t wait for this project but a great addition to the DIY world.

Jlmaudio passive monitor have a stereo 3 way in /3 way out...
You could put a resistor for a fix output level instead of the potentiometer!

:JLM Audio Shop
You can get the Pcb only somewhere in the site...

Jlmaudio passive monitor have a stereo 3 way in /3 way out...
You could put a resistor for a fix output level instead of the potentiometer!

:JLM Audio Shop
You can get the Pcb only somewhere in the site...
It doesn’t have the logic and LED drivers to use illuminated momentary action switches.

Original 1st post was talking about a ‘simple passive controller´...
What you’re talking about is another complex level...

"Sam......", the OP in this thread, hasn't chimed in recently, but my two cents....

Three 4PDT toggle switches (gold contacts, of course) . That way, any combo of speakers can be selected.

"Brian......Yer crazy! Never turn on more than one set of speakers at once!"

Sometimes it makes sense to do that. Long story (semi) short...

In ancient times, I designed, built and ran a large-ish 24 track studio that primarily made jingles and soundtracks for "industrial videos".

In the pic below (sorry it's just a crappy scan I made years ago from the company brochure), we had five monitor destinations.

1. Big ol' UREI 813's in the soffit.
2. Nearfields (not sure which we were using in the photo).
3. Horrortones (Auratones).
4. A mono sum into the cheapest Radio Shack speaker I could find, mounted in the meter bridge.

And NOT visible in the pic:

5. Pair of Klipsch LaScalas in the back wall (We had a pair available).

Why #5? If you look at the crappy pic, you can barely make out a keyboard or two sitting behind the desk before the front wall/window The main writer/arranger/producer would perform there, facing the engineer. Hence the need for the speakers in the back wall. Thus, we needed to be able to activate two sets of speakers at the same time. It actually worked well for tracking.

For mixing....only 1 set of speakers at a time! For fun....turn them all at once and blast! lol

Attachments

• gv.jpg
    gv.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 0
If anyone is interested, I’ll check if I have available enough parts for a kit of the “bespoke” 4-stereo selector I posted above: main PCB, front panel, back panel, extruded enclosure, 4PDT canceling push-button switch, & i\o jacks\plugs (bal or unbal), no phono loading components (add yourself if needed) for $150 (estimated cost) plus postage.

Latest posts

Back