Bv8,12,11 replica - Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There’s a feeler thread in Magnetics about Moby doing T14 transformers, but it’s tied with C12A transformers and that has seemed to delay it greatly. It seems enough people aren’t hip to C12As.

duantro said:
Looks Great Moby! You don't do t14 for a c12 do you?
Thanks. Yes, I'm working on that. I experiment with different alloys and heat treatments. It takes time. . Also, laminations and bobbins are non standard so it ask for a custom stamping and injection tools. But it will happen, no worries :)

Recording Engineer said:
There’s a feeler thread in Magnetics about Moby doing T14 transformers, but it’s tied with C12A transformers and that has seemed to delay it greatly. It seems enough people aren’t hip to C12As.
Thanks. I keep forgetting there’s a magnetic thread now.

Hi! I just picked up a BV-08 from @Moby to use in @poctop 's D-47 build. Since the build guide photos for that project use a different type of transformer I was wondering if anyone had any advice for mounting and wiring the BV-08. Cheers!

Hi! I just picked up a BV-08 from @Moby to use in @poctop 's D-47 build. Since the build guide photos for that project use a different type of transformer I was wondering if anyone had any advice for mounting and wiring the BV-08. Cheers!
Since the D-47 and the D-EF47 are built on the same PCB base, check out the build guide for the D-EF47

Not sure if the wiring will be the same but you should get some idea of how to mount it at least.

OK, now I'm a little confused about which of the mic PCBs to use. The transformer doesn't really fit physically in the PCB marked BV8. While it does look like it would fit in the one marked T47 it also looks like the laminations would short the pads on either side of the opening.

Attachments

• IMG_2973.JPG
    IMG_2973.JPG
    2.1 MB
  • IMG_2972.JPG
    IMG_2972.JPG
    2 MB
If it fits the T47 PCB, use it. As long as it still fits inside the body tube, you can use rubber or fibre washers to stand the transformer off from the PCB, so the pads aren't shorted.

The D-EF47 has the same layout as the T47 PCB, so I'd suggest using that one and checking out the D-EF47 build thread for mounting options. IIRC, I went with fiber washer in mine, as @Delta Sigma suggested.

Might also be a good idea to go over the build thread to check for value options for some critical components.

OK, just want to do a dummy check. Based on my reading of the transformer doc my understanding is that I should be joining the two green wires (on the right) to each other and the blue and white wires (on the right) to each other. Then the 4 wires on the left (red, blue, black, and white) will be soldered to the board. Is that correct?

I'm also unclear as to which of the wires on the right go to which of the S+, S-, P+, P- pads on the board.

Attachments

• IMG_2974.JPG
    IMG_2974.JPG
    1.9 MB

Latest posts

Back