CA-250 EQ // 3 band Sontec in 500 series format

Help Support GroupDIY:

elskardio

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 29, 2010
Messages
436
Location
Montreal - Canada
Thanks to everyone who placed an order. Your kits will ship by the end of the month.

You'll receive a private message with the tracking number of your package and the download link for the build guide.
 

evil grill

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 15, 2004
Messages
115
Location
Sweden
elskardio said:
Thanks to everyone who placed an order. Your kits will ship by the end of the month.

You'll receive a private message with the tracking number of your package and the download link for the build guide.

Hi!

I have'nt recieved a tracking number. Is there a delay?
 

elskardio

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 29, 2010
Messages
436
Location
Montreal - Canada
evil grill said:
Hi!

I have'nt recieved a tracking number. Is there a delay?

Yes sorry about that... I just picked up my front panel shipment 2 days ago. It took an extra 10 days to reach Montreal  :-\

I will pack and ship the kits this week  ;)
 

Bobby Baird

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 15, 2013
Messages
166
Location
Austin, TX
I have built my pair, but at the unity gain calibration step. I have the trimmer maxed out, and I'm still 7db short on gain on both units. I checked all resistor values before populating. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
 

elskardio

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 29, 2010
Messages
436
Location
Montreal - Canada
Bobby Baird said:
I have built my pair, but at the unity gain calibration step. I have the trimmer maxed out, and I'm still 7db short on gain on both units. I checked all resistor values before populating. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Hi Bobby,
What’s your test setup? DAW with an audio interface? Are you feeding a balanced signal to the module’s input?
 

Bobby Baird

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 15, 2013
Messages
166
Location
Austin, TX
elskardio said:
Hi Bobby,
What’s your test setup? DAW with an audio interface? Are you feeding a balanced signal to the module’s input?

Cubase 10, steinberg mr816x, balanced cables into Radial workhorse
 

Bobby Baird

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 15, 2013
Messages
166
Location
Austin, TX
So... one of the CA-250's high band is not functioning correct. While injecting pink noise using span spectroanalyzer set to 1 octave smoothing to visualize curves. I have the high band shape set to sharp. Frequancy knob set all the way ccw. Gain 12, and the lowest it will go is like 7.68k on span where the knob says 2khz ccw. My other CA-250 works flawlessly. I built both at the same time using the same bom supplied last week. I made sure to take my time. As, I have no schematic. I'm not sure were to start troubleshooting this part of the circuit. Hope to fix this bug. I did bump c28 with solder iron by accident, but it seems cosmetic, and I'm sure that's part of the low band.
 

elskardio

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 29, 2010
Messages
436
Location
Montreal - Canada
Bobby Baird said:
So... one of the CA-250's high band is not functioning correct. While injecting pink noise using span spectroanalyzer set to 1 octave smoothing to visualize curves. I have the high band shape set to sharp. Frequancy knob set all the way ccw. Gain 12, and the lowest it will go is like 7.68k on span where the knob says 2khz ccw. My other CA-250 works flawlessly. I built both at the same time using the same bom supplied last week. I made sure to take my time. As, I have no schematic. I'm not sure were to start troubleshooting this part of the circuit. Hope to fix this bug. I did bump c28 with solder iron by accident, but it seems cosmetic, and I'm sure that's part of the low band.

Hi Robert, please check your personal emails. Thanks
 

critterkllr

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 5, 2010
Messages
311
Location
Dearborn, MI
I just built a pair of these EQ’s and they are fantastic! The quality of everything is really good.  The way you fit all of the pots in this EQ was really clever. I’m really grateful that you decided to sell them for us to DIY.

The sound is top notch. Any boosts or cuts sound really natural. No weird phasey issues boosting high. It sounds like that’s the way I tracked it.

The only feedback that I have would be to specify that the standoffs are two different sizes. Like a dummy, I didn’t realize until I was over halfway through soldering the main connector. I used a short standoff on on the switch. Oops! Everything else was really professional and thorough. This was a nice easy project!
 

evil grill

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 15, 2004
Messages
115
Location
Sweden
Mine are still somewhere between Canada and Sweden.  Really annoying as I was planning to use them on a recording end of May.  :(
 

elskardio

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 29, 2010
Messages
436
Location
Montreal - Canada
critterkllr said:
The only feedback that I have would be to specify that the standoffs are two different sizes.

This is clearly specified in the build guide.

evil grill said:
Mine are still somewhere between Canada and Sweden.  Really annoying as I was planning to use them on a recording end of May.  :(

Unfortunately I don't have any control over the postal service...
 

critterkllr

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 5, 2010
Messages
311
Location
Dearborn, MI
elskardio said:
This is clearly specified in the build guide.

Okay, dude. Just trying to help. My feedback is to add a note:

“28. Solder the 6-pin header and install the 11mm standoff. *verify you are not using a 9mm standoff*
 

Fuzz Face

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 22, 2018
Messages
142
Location
Anaheim
I went with some aluminum knobs, whaddaya think?
 

Attachments

  • B2229C8A-8F3E-48A8-B306-A87AC7558D5A.jpeg
    B2229C8A-8F3E-48A8-B306-A87AC7558D5A.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 45

Latest posts

Top