• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

For Sale Calrec PQ1549 Mic Pre/EQ modules from UA8000

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mylesgm

Unfortunately we have to part out a beautiful 64channel Calrec UA8000. It's been a stellar console since it arrived here in Melbourne and can be heard on countless recordings including a couple of ARIA records (our Australian version of the Grammys). Prior to arriving here it was in Nashville and I understand it saw some very major productions there too. It really is a stellar sounding set of circuits, the mic pre is pretty unique in that it uses a lundahl transformer for the higher gain settings and bypasses that transformer for the lower gain settings and the EQ section is the original Jakob cloned for the Gyraf 1549 EQ. Sadly the form factor of the console is just not workable for the studio scene here so it's going to be cut down into a pair of sidecars, a couple of 8channel racks and it will live on in various studios. To that end I have 12 of the PQ1549 modules to sell. They are all in excellent physical condition, all switches latch and pots move smoothly. The console was in daily use until decommissioned about a year ago and has been in dry storage since the console was removed. I also have stereo output cards to pair with these modules if needed which have two lundahl 1517 transformers and would complete the routing of the channel. Schematics are available too.

I would like $600aud per module or $1100aud per pair, I will include a stereo output card with each pair for $150aud. If you are interested in more than a pair I'm happy to discuss that too.
I am happy to ship worldwide and use paypal. Shipping will be from Melbourne Australia.

Attachments

• Calrec Face.jpeg
    Calrec Face.jpeg
    510.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Calrec Rear.jpeg
    Calrec Rear.jpeg
    511.4 KB · Views: 4
Not the whole console no, the frame has already been modified to reduce it to a 12channel sidecar with master. There are minimum 12 complete channels with mic/eq, dynamics, routing, meters, small and large fader modules, and some utility cards. I was going to rack a few extra sets to sell to assist with cost but can offer those as well.

Don't forget that the modules run at an 'internal' level of (IIRC ) minus 14dB (could be minus 10 or minus 12) (motherboard link selectable) so to preserve the original headroom the output needs to run into an amplifier (Preferably with balanced output) of 14dB gain. I think the first UA8000 went to PUK studio and the second also went to Scandinavia. I was involved in testing a few more in the factory and then commissioning a couple more as well, as well as the upgrade/expansion of a 48 frame to 64 at Abbey Road. 1984 was a long time ago and getting back out from under desks is getting increasingly more difficult! Happy New Year to all in Melbourne.

Don't forget that the modules run at an 'internal' level of (IIRC ) minus 14dB (could be minus 10 or minus 12) (motherboard link selectable) so to preserve the original headroom the output needs to run into an amplifier (Preferably with balanced output) of 14dB gain. I think the first UA8000 went to PUK studio and the second also went to Scandinavia. I was involved in testing a few more in the factory and then commissioning a couple more as well, as well as the upgrade/expansion of a 48 frame to 64 at Abbey Road. 1984 was a long time ago and getting back out from under desks is getting increasingly more difficult! Happy New Year to all in Melbourne.
Yep, this is in the docs. The mic module fed the dynamics module with a transformer balanced amp for insert, and also the small fader module with transformer balanced amp for direct out, and then additional circuits for auxes, group outs etc all with additional amps/transformers. I have the full channel set of modules and cards. It really is a shame to see the console cutdown but it will live on in various guises including a framed up side car and other racks.

Agree, the output stage (insert send) is located in the MC1520 small-fader module - attached

Attachments

• Calrec MC1520 small fader.GIF
    801.7 KB · Views: 7
Slightly interesting that the overall channel operating level is only minus 6dB on this desk, perhaps a reflection that hitting a tape machine at a high level is relatively pointless unless you intend to get into serious saturation/distortion. In the broadcast 'arena' clipping is to be avoided because if it clips anywhere it is likely to crosstalk to other paths which is strictly 'forbidden'. Screening plates between channel strips are part of the scheme to contain 'errant' channels where a possible 'full channel strip running squarewave (gross overload) must not break into the wanted audio paths. Thanks for uploading the diagram Gyraf, it brought back the memories of the 3 signatories who signed off that schematic.

Latest posts

Back