Can’t Afford a Home? How about a Skoolie

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fazer

The Younger generation can’t afford the American dream. Or maybe they don’t want the American dream.

I’m getting a kick out of these homes call skoolie’s.. people work on a school bus and turn it into a home on wheels without a mortgage. They seem to be happy in their choice and also educated. They work mobile jobs that I was unaware off. Where there is a will there is a way .

back in the early 70s a few of my old college roommates built a few bunks into the back of an old school bus and drove it across country... at the time I was engaged by uncle sam to serve in the US Army, so unavailable for this portable party... This once in a lifetime adventure I missed was different than the adventure of NATO maneuvers in Germany.

JR

Smart talented people coming up with an affordable alternative. BLM Land camping all free. Huge solar arrays that run HVAC. Propane frig. Large freshwater tank for extended stays. Cellular internet with boosters . Jobs like shipping broker, IT, Job coach, editor, others. Amazing! Live debt free and build up savings. One couple had 3 kids and a monster built in solar no generator with very large loads like HVAC and multiple lithium backup batteries.
Solar makes good sense when you have a small footprint. One guy was a gourmet cook and had a killer kitchen.

A lot of people are doing conversions these days. It's interesting to watch on you tube.
I saw a Ford Transit RV conversion with cooking, toilet and shower where everything was modular and slotted in. You could use the van as a work van and pop the RV in on the weekend. Not remotely cheap. I think it was $75K not including the van but really nice. The Ford Transits are nice vans too.

The Younger generation can’t afford the American dream. Or maybe they don’t want the American dream.

I’m getting a kick out of these homes call skoolie’s.. people work on a school bus and turn it into a home on wheels without a mortgage. They seem to be happy in their choice and also educated. They work mobile jobs that I was unaware off. Where there is a will there is a way .

Looks great, thanks for sharing.
Anyway I don't think this conversion was cheap...

Alternative living for a musician . i wonder if Ken Kesey is the driver? Maybe this was the beginning of the Merry Pranksters.

I saw a Ford Transit RV conversion with cooking, toilet and shower where everything was modular and slotted in. You could use the van as a work van and pop the RV in on the weekend. Not remotely cheap. I think it was $75K not including the van but really nice. The Ford Transits are nice vans too.
There was an article in the news here in the UK a few weeks ago about people converting Ford Transits and other vans into homes. Seems to be a fairly universal phenomena. A sign of the times?

Cheers

Ian

Back