Can I add an LED to the Schoeps/Alice circuit ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What jumpers, and connecting what in series with what?
zenor diode and LED seires connect in schematic.
If the PCB is manufactured, the LED must be connected clearly. However, if the microphone might not need an LED, it meant that the circuit would work well if the LEDs were not mounted on the PCB and the + and - poles of the LED were connected by jumper.
explain.png

Ok, NOW that statement makes (more) sense (y)

I'm a stickler for clear communication in such things... 🤦‍♂️ (especially where context is important / essential)

Not sure it would?...If anything, I think the 'extra volts' should probably add to headroom..
Think I may have had a senior moment there! :)

The schematic with the LED is series in post #12 doesn't show the details of the front end to be applied.
If the capsule is an electret. the phase splitting doesn't even need to be a FET....

I've found the attached schematic works well (Capsule does not have to be an EM204 specifically )
@rogs
I saw your circuit diagram.
Of course, it will help me make a microphone.
Just using this circuit diagram doesn't help me build electronic circuit knowledge. Do you think there is a part in your circuit diagram where you can add LEDs? (I recognize that LEDs clearly do not have a positive effect on my microphones.)
Personally, I think, "Wouldn't it be possible if I added it to this part?"
resistor - 10~12K ?
(I'm sorry I broke your wonderful circuit. 😅)
led in rogs microphone .jpg

Last edited:
@rogs
I saw your circuit diagram.
Of course, it will help me make a microphone.
Just using this circuit diagram doesn't help you build electronic circuit knowledge. Do you think there is a part in your circuit diagram where you can add LEDs? (We recognize that LEDs clearly do not have a positive effect on our microphones.)
Personally, I think, "Wouldn't it be possible if I added it to this part?"
resistor - 10~12K ?
(I'm sorry I broke your wonderful circuit. 😅)
View attachment 106411
Yes, that would work. The value of the resistor in series with the LED will depend on what type of LED you are using, and how much illumination you need. You won't actually be drawing any extra current from the phantom power, just shunting it away from the existing standing current in the zener diode.
However, with the current limitations of the phantom power supply you don't want to draw too much current and allow the voltage at the junction of R12 and C8 too fall too far. Selecting a super bright LED should allow you to obtain a useful illumination from very little current.
I recently used of of THESE LEDS across a 12 v supply and used a 100k series resistor !! ... So it only drew about 100uA of current - and still provided acceptable illumination as an intermittent status indicator in a logic circuit.
That is an extreme example, but at the other end of the scale, some LEDs draw 15 or 20mA of current to give a useful output. That would be too much in this case.....

I was pleasantly surprised to find the mkh800 twin has leds on the front and back to let you know which side is powered up. This has come in handy once or twice since there doesn’t seem to be a universal color coding on pre-made 5pin breakout cables.

A LED on a microphone makes it look like a cheap Chinese toy!
The only mic with an LED I can think of that isn't a "gamer" USB mic is the CAD C400S. It's actually a really nice looking body and headbasket but that LED looks so bad I couldn't use it as a donor mic, and in the stock mic that put a button on the PCB to engage the high pass filter because they chose to put a stupid LED where the high pass filter's switch would be.
C400S.jpgC400S-circuit.jpg

Back