Can I make a logarithmic slider pot reverse logarithmic by flipping the wiring?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carboncomp

Need a 10KC reverse logarithmic slider for a project and just wanted to know if this is correct or if I'm missing something:

Original Wiring:
  • One end terminal connected to ground.
  • The wiper (middle terminal) connected to the input.
  • The other end terminal connected to the signal source.
  • With this configuration, as I move the slider from one end to the other, the resistance increases logarithmically.

Reversed Wiring:
  • One end terminal connected to the signal source.
  • The wiper (middle terminal) connected to the input.
  • The other end terminal connected to ground.
  • With this reversed configuration, as I move the slider, the resistance will now decrease logarithmically. (reverse logarithmic response).
Mount it 180 degrees to the rest and have a working 10KC slider, right?

The usual purpose of a log pot is to convert a electronic log function to a mechanically linear one.

If you just flip the outside wires, the conversion function of the pot will be backwards. For example if you did this with a boost control on an EQ, half the boost would occur in the narrow range between CCW and the 8 o'clock positions and the rest of the pot rotation would not do much, which is not what one would want.

Last edited:
The log curve is still the same.
Here is a photo of 4 kinds of potentiometers. You will be interested in lines 2 and 4.
Typically a pit is wired so full counter clockwise you have least resistance and it increases going clockwise. While flipping the wires changes the increase or decrease when turning the pot clockwise, the curve is still the same.

Attachments

• IMG_8029.jpeg
    IMG_8029.jpeg
    215 KB · Views: 0
No, because if you originally turned the control clockwise to make it louder, by flipping the wires you'd have to turn CCW instead..

Latest posts

Back