Can I Use a Lauten Eden power supply for my Danny D67?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youngshu

The two Microphones use an ef 86 tube so I was hoping I could use the Eden Power supply for the D67. I am Having trouble putting this power supply together and want to test the microphone separate from the power supply. half of my problems are I don't have the tools to drill holes into the steel case to build the enclosure.

If it puts out 210V B+ (mic connected) then why not. Pinout is probably different. Be careful with PSU's. They can kill you.

Probably safest to open the Eden, power it up and measure inside the microphone with a DMM. That way you probably won't get a lethal shock. Might get a good 200v snap though, so very careful still. Keep your other hand behind you back always. Also, you could damage the mic, burn a fuse in the PSU or make a residual-current device of your working space to go off (if you have one) if you accidentally short something. (I wish I had the sensibility yo start with phantom powered mics when I started my mic hobby, but I know the allure of a tube mic is great.)

Hard to tell exactly where to measure without knowing the Eden circuit, but the wire/trace that leads to tube's plate trough about 100k resistor is the point. There might be a smaller resistor before it, if so then between that and the XLR.

Or, you could just power on the PSU, attach the black probe to a bare metal part outside the PSU (never hold both probes when working with high voltages, how could you when you have the other hand behind your back 😀) and stick the red probe to different holes of the 5-pin XLR and see if there's about 240V present in some of them. That way there's a slight possibility that you will break the PSU though. What does the manual of the mic say about powering up the PSU without the mic connected?

Also, you will very likely to have hum problems with the Eden PSU. U67 grounding scheme seems complicated.

@youngshu

The two Microphones use an ef 86 tube so I was hoping I could use the Eden Power supply for the D67.
The “fact” that each of these two Microphones use an EF 86 valve means nothing at all in any conclusion that they will maybe or more possible maybe not have any voltage capability between them…

Just to give you an very little example about it, I could to say you that the new Microtech Gefell CMV563, Microtech Gefell M-990, Microtech Gefell UM75, Gefell UM92 and UM92.1-S microphones they are all have an EF 86 valve in them, but they are all powering by 120 DC Volts, although that the Microtech Gefell GmbH was the ex-Neumann company…

The Neumann U-67 was (and it is…) a very specially designing microphone about the very unusable -back in time- high 210 DC Voltage and the NFB
I am Having trouble putting this power supply together and want to test the microphone separate from the power supply. half of my problems are I don't have the tools to drill holes into the steel case to build the enclosure.
Now if you wanna so much to “play it safe” without having trouble(s) about putting this power supply together, you can order the:

HORCH Audiogeräte NT2106U67 is a high grade PSU for Neumann U67 tube microphones (€618.45 *)

And you will get a highest quality “boutique” custom made power supply without to have hum problems, as the U-67 grounding scheme seems a little bit complicated. …

The two Microphones use an ef 86 tube so I was hoping I could use the Eden Power supply for the D67. I am Having trouble putting this power supply together and want to test the microphone separate from the power supply. half of my problems are I don't have the tools to drill holes into the steel case to build the enclosure.
Probably not without modification, since the D67 needs a negative heater voltage.

Probably not without modification, since the D67 needs a negative heater voltage.
Oh, I see, so it is (I hadn't considered that). Of course, the microphone could be modified to use a positive filament voltage but it wouldn't be an exact U67 clone anymore.

lol I really appreciate you guys I have a lot to learn this project has grown my knowledge of how little I know.

Latest posts

Back