Can you believe this?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

I emailed Edcor to ask them for the primary inductance of their XSM 2.4K/600 transformer. Yhis is the reply I got:

"I am sorry, we do not have the inductance of that XSM model on file."

Cheers

Ian

usekgb said:
You mean they couldn't just measure it and add it to their file?  Weird.

Even stranger, Ruairi had ordered me a couple of them a few days before and a couple of days after that reply I got a message from Ruairi to say the transformers had been despatched to him. So even if they are made to order, they had a couple around they could have measured.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,

I think there is definitely a price to be paid for their cheapness, you won't get the same level of support that you get with a Jensen or Cinemag.  As per my email QC is definitely an issue too or at least has been in the past withe people receiving faulty transformers etc based on forum reports.

It doesn't inspire confidence when a transformer manufacturer can't tell you such a basic spec on one of their products...

Edcor makes utility transformers. Plenty good (far above run-of-mill) for your shopping center or amusement park.

If you hunt far back here you find their tech asking how to measure SE output transformers. Never came back, never engaged.

They have wire and winder. Buy one and measure it yerself.

Lundahl does not supply you with inductance data either - I have a feeling the raw inductance data is not really useful (or simply not possible to measure in a way that makes general sense)

Jakob E.

gyraf said:
I have a feeling the raw inductance data is not really useful (or simply not possible to measure in a way that makes general sense)
This is discussed at great length in either CJ or Ian's thread about transformer specs.

Primary/Secondary Inductance of a metal cored gapless item varies
  • with frequency
  • and also with level

IMLE, the most consistent pointer to LF performance is THD at a given frequency, level and impedance.  You want to do this at a fairly high level eg 1% THD but this will translate well to other frequencies/levels/impedance until the transformer craps out completely.

Back