Capacitors for dinner?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zebra50

Capacitors2.jpg

I pulled these caps out of an old (60s or 70s?) temperature controller unit. The vegetables are for scale. Anyone recognise what type they might be? Look like rolled film of some sort. I might dissect one, but they look useful so I don't really want to.

They're labelled 0.33uF, 1.0 uF and blurry.0 uF, all at 160V.

:razz:

Yum!

[quote author="zebra50"]The vegetables are for scale[/quote]

Just misread that, I was about to tell you to put them in The Black Market then, so they're not "for sale"? :green:

I remember these from TV and radio sets I took apart when I was a kid. Were they made by Mullard or TCC? I seem to remember they were a roll of aluminium foil with what looked like polyester (?) film inbetween. They're usually rated at quite a high voltage. I think some original Neve EQ's used them too.

Tasty!

Mark

[quote author="StephenGiles"]... and new potatoes.[/quote]

I don't know. I think I still prefer the nice and warm taste of the old tubers.

:green: :green: :green:

These are exactly the caps as I first met them when I jumped into old tubed TV-sets and radios with my dad, the 100W soldering iron and the bottle of S-39 (what did we know...)

Indeed, usually a rating of hundreds of volts. I have a few green ones as well, those might double up nicely as olives.

Pretty picture BTW, and since it's time to refresh the backdrop at my PC @ work...

Bye,

peter

[quote author="zebra50"]The vegetables are for scale. Anyone recognise what type they might be?[/quote]
That's easy... a small pea-pod and a hot pepper. :grin:

-Do I win a prize? :?:

:razz:

Keef

[quote author="zebra50"]Anyone recognise what type they might be? Look like rolled film of some sort.[/quote]
They are Philips caps (or Mullard, which is the same thing...). They were used a lot in the fifties and sixties. You can find them in the component sections of the old Philips pocketbooks. I still have some "NOS" ones, and I use them sometimes :grin:

I might dissect one, but they look useful so I don't really want to.
I dissected one some years ago - they are polyester film/foil caps.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

I think that is the style caps peopel want in there marshall amps. I think they call them mustard caps

Thanks guys!
This means I don't have to chop them up (the pepper already bought it :shock:) . I bet they end up in a microphone or preamp soon.
:green: :green:

[quote author="SSLtech"][quote author="zebra50"]The vegetables are for scale. Anyone recognise what type they might be?[/quote]
That's easy... a small pea-pod and a hot pepper. :grin:
-Do I win a prize? :?:
Keef[/quote]

Arffff.....

So we've got pepper and mustard in the same frame... how hot can those caps run?
keef

Arf arf.

Vindaloooooooo
or Phal
(I sense a curry thread coming down the tube)

((hmmmm... nightmare on elm street is on channel 5. my girlfriend's tuned in to watch an embryonic johnny depp - don't they look young?))

Talk about synchronicity! We made vindaloo last night, and I almost started a curry thread earlier today, myself.

US readers: try "Deep" brand vindaloo paste. Look for it in your local Indian market. It's an atomic experience!

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]US readers: try "Deep" brand vindaloo paste. Look for it in your local Indian market. It's an atomic experience![/quote]
At the risk of going (even) further off topic, I second the 'Deep" brand. Pataks is okay for common or gardern-variety curries.

Dave, you want me to send you up a spice kit for my favourite (non-hot) indian dish? -'Shahi Murgh'...? Your tongue will love you for the rest of your life... :green:

Keef

Im gearing up to build a marshall type amp and Ive been doing some research, there is a dude who has made a copy of the mustards and had the great rock and roll balls to call them Sozo caps, I want to shake this dudes hand with his logo...

http://www.sozoamplification.com/purchase.html

Im gonna try these out in my amp, I wont get to it for a few, but I'll let you know how it turns out. If they are cooler sounding that the orange drops (which I think are a tad bright-ish for hi gain amps) that would be a welcome suprise! I need me a mellow cap to make the sound I want to make...

dave

I guitar amps I tend to like the round rolled PETs. Stacked film PET sounds to clean and round seems smoother. I think it has to do with the DA maybe it is the film thickness the thicker film having more DA becuae it Has more volume to hold the traped electrons?

FWIW for guitar and effect work Dirt to clean order

class 3 ceramic nice midrange grit guitarTone stacks feedback networks in a BMP fuzz, strat guitars with texas specials (hot output pickups)

wound PET

stacked PET

Mica can be clean or "zingy" I tend to avoid it because it does not seem to be predicable to me.

polypro

polystyene

The more voltage across a ceramic cap the more piezo electric effect and the harsher the mis and highs.

This is how I hear caps. I could be deluding myself.

Go ahead and flame me, but I've used a lot of the Xicons (as sold by Mouser) in guitar amps and have been quite pleased with them. I like Orange Drops, too, but I agree with you that they seem to add a bit of high end that's desirable in some instances but not in others. All other things being equal--which they very rarely are--an amp built with Xicons will sound darker.

Xicon films can be fine. I stay away for the IC brand electros and films.

Back