Caution/ Avis

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warpie

I see some gear using both English and French in their marking.

For example:

Caution/ Avis
Risk of electric shock. Do not open.
Risk de choc électrique ne pas ouvrir.

Why is it also in French? Why not in English and (let's say) in Spanish?  :)

And both are  " Official  " languages in Canada, although Winnipeg where I live has the highest french population
outside of the province of Quebec  [  which has language laws that signs must be in French first ] the second most
spoken language in Winnipeg is the  filipino tagalog , apparently.  I believe Canada like many Euopean countries is
in a negative population growth ..................and the current conservative prime minister  is giving it all away , anyway

gyraf said:
Because the French are the only non-english-speaking people left?
haha!

OK I see, for a moment I thought it might be some sort of CE/UL/ you-name-it requirement to be written in the two most spoken languanges (Mandarin aside!) and that's why I wondered why French and not Spanish.  :)

warpie said:
gyraf said:
haha!

OK I see, for a moment I thought it might be some sort of CE/UL/ you-name-it requirement to be written in the two most spoken languanges (Mandarin aside!) and that's why I wondered why French and not Spanish.  :)

This is kinda fun....

http://jakubmarian.com/average-number-of-languages-spoken-by-the-eu-population/

Gustav

> Why is it also in French?

Because the French (and particularly the Québécois) *fight* for their language.

Most complex products sold in the US (and therefore in Canada and Québéc) come with English-French instructions.

Even those products most used by workers of Spanish traditions (roof and floor nailers etc... you don't find many 'mericans on roofs or on their knees).

Yes, 3-lingo instructions are also common.

And of course those printer instructions including languages from places that don't even have electricity yet. 6 pages of pictures, 6 pages in EACH of 30 or 40 languages-- the docs weigh more than the printer. (Except they rarely give you a printed booklet any more.)

> This is kinda fun....

Hmmm.

Attachments

• AveLang.gif
    AveLang.gif
    289.9 KB
gyraf said:

Jakob E.

Hahahahaha

I use to work for French, German and British customers, but I can tell the worst english speakers I know are we, the Spanish, even worse than French

Latest posts

Back