Cell Signal Booster

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gold

Does anyone here have any experience with cell phone boosters? Now that I have electricity in the mountains I’d like to have cell service.

In the winter with the leaves down we get a bar or two of Verizon 5G. In the summer we don’t see bars. I know there is a Field Strength Mode on the iPhone that will display field strength in dBM. I haven’t tried that yet.

There seem to be two basic types. Single band and wide band. The single band will only work with one carrier at a time but can have more gain than a wide band. Since we are both Verizon 5G I think single band makes more sense. Wirh a YAGI antenna?

Anyone have any experience or recommendations?

My neighbor has one that the provider gives and keeps trying to get me to get one. Says they work. Also said he thinks sometimes I'm using his without knowing it but idk....
think he called it like a mini tower...

I have been using one for the last couple years. It has an antenna that I mounted up on my roof/chimney pointed at the closest cell tower. There is a transceiver that mounts indoors (sitting on my mantle). This gets me enough bars to effectively communicate with the outside world but I am not much of a smart phone user. Hard to get by without one for some things.

JR

I know that some providers will supply a MEMS modem if hardwire broadband is not available. I haven’t heard of providers supplying a cell booster.

I live in a weak cell coverage area (nowhere MS). When I was shopping around for the best/strongest carrier there was at least one cell phone carrier that offered to provide a cell phone receiver to confirm that signal was strong/available at my address... When I applied to get a loaner, they said sorry, not available for that address. :rolleyes:

If you have any neighbors, or locals, ask them. They will generally know who has coverage in the area. If you live away from civilization you may not get much reception. I am only a few miles from the interstate but due to local geography (bottom of a hill) I get weak reception.

Modern satellite phones are getting cheaper and more powerful, but probably still not cheap.

JR

I live in a weak cell coverage area (nowhere MS). When I was shopping around for the best/strongest carrier there was at least one cell phone carrier that offered to provide a cell phone receiver to confirm that signal was strong/available at my address... When I applied to get a loaner, they said sorry, not available for that address. :rolleyes:
We have one Verizon 5G bar in the winter and none in the summer. Verizon wants to put up more cell towers. I think we could get $900/month to locate one on the property. I know someone who has done that but it’s on a large parcel they don’t live on.

They make them look like trees. I still don’t want the land torn up. I want a cell signal booster. It’s a camp. We’ve been there seven years and just got electric run.

I’ve been thinking of ways to make a large parcel of over 100 acres pay for its self. That would contribute to something like that.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back