Chandler TG uses no germanium transistors?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sponzorb

I’ve seen a few threads on here about where Chandler might be sourcing germanium transistors. I would be surprised if the germanium mic pre did not use germanium transistors.

As you might know, the numbers are scratched off the power transistors in some of Chandler’s products. I found an image of the transistors from the mini rack mixer without the numbers scratched off. I have 4 Chandler devices (TG2-500 and TG12345 MK IV eq). Between those 4, I was able to determine they are the same transistors as in the mini rack mixer. They are silicon. I assumed they would be germanium considering the original TG consoles use germanium. I found no mention of germanium in their marketing for the TG products, only the mention that they are an accurate recreation of modules from
the console that recorded Abbey Road and Dark Side of the Moon — implicitly germanium. I know the TG consoles use silicon and germanium, but 100% of the transistors in my units are silicon (unless I missed something big).

I wonder why they chose to scratch the numbers off the transistors.

My take away is this: I think these units do the TG sound well even though they apparently don’t use germanium. It makes me think the whole germanium thing is probably hype and the sound of TG comes much more from the circuit. It also makes me wonder if getting hung up on period accurate components is a waste of effort. Some people go to great lengths to source NOS parts. If you can apparently use a silicon transistor where a germanium transistor was used and get the same sound, surely the components themselves are not the concern. I’m curious to know others’ thoughts.

Last edited:
There were several iterations of TG consoles. Some of the earlier TG consoles use germanium - I believe this is the circuit on which the Chandler Germanium is based. Chandler TG2 and associated products (mini mixer, etc) are based on the TG12428 design, which is all silicon. Input amps are a two transistor gain block with BC184 and BC214. Output amps are a 4 transistor gain block (BC184, BC214, 2N4898, and 2N4910) which is the same as seen in the TG limiter.

They have a Germanium line and a TG line. I wasn't aware that the TG ever claimed to use germanium.
They didn’t explicitly claim to use germanium, but because the TG consoles are famously germanium (which I’ve now learned is only the earlier version) I thought the TG channels were germanium, and I thought that’s why Chandler was scratching off the transistor ID.

Last edited:
The pre TG modules like 920 EQ and 849 channelstrip used a germanium modul for the active circuits (EMI type 839/1 cassette amplifier)
Various stage in the TG consoles used the germanium ACY21 transistor.
Regarding the Chandler germanium, I believe that the potted amp is just a modified version of a Neve B104 output stage and that the gain and feedback controls are doing the same thing, just adjusting the negative feedback :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back