Changing input voltage in my ART Pro Channel - help a newbie out!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingtoad

Hi,

Firstly, let me apologise for my pretty thorough ignorance in all things electrical. I've done some mild soldering, but that's it. Apologies for the poor quality of the images also - my camera phone is not up to much.

I have an ART Pro Channel that runs on 110v. As I live in the UK, I've been running it through a step down transformer, but I recently had to let that go as part of an ebay sale. I had been told switching the voltages over inside was a pretty simple soldering job so I wasn't too worried.

So, I've opened up the unit and I'm struggling to get the board out of the case due to this:

MeterIN.jpg

It's the board/connections for this GR meter:

MeterOUT.jpg

These ribbon cables don't seem like they are meant to be pulled off, is this correct? They seem like they are soldered on and I don't want to force them in case this is the case. I presume, however, that there must be a way to get the main board out of the unit without destructively severing any connections. It may just be something silly I've missed but there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to get this meter out/detach it from the main board.

The reason I need to remove the board from the case is that the space where I need to solder is too small for me to work on without it:

Voltage.jpg

The two outer connections with wire in between say "110v" next to them - the middle says "240v" (or something similar). Is it simply a case of removing the solder/breaking the wire in between the outer two and soldering some fuse wire between the inner one?

I'm sure this is all painfully obvious, but as I say I'm a novice who's feeling a bit out of his depth, so go easy...

Tom

You sold the step down transformer, so you have some money. Now get yourself a digital camera and put up decent pictures.

As far as the ribbons go you should be able to tell if it's two pieces or plastic snapped together or just one solid piece.  I don't own this unit particularly but when I modded my PRO VLA the ribbons took a little bit of force but they definitely came apart.  I can't tell from the pictures though.  As far as adjusting the voltage and what-not, I'm in no place to give advice on that sort of thing... Sorry.

Taylor

Latest posts

Back