Primo EM21 wiring for side-address mounting?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klem

I'd like to mount a Primo EM21 in a side-address housing. It's proving more challenging than I thought, so am hoping someone here may have some experience or suggestions to help.

I have an outer metal frame to house the EM21, but would have to mount with double-sided tape or silicone between EM21 and mic housing, so there won't be an option for metal to metal contact for ground via secure mechanical threading like in the Nakamichi donor. Additionally, the Nak uses a mechanical pressure connector for the center pin, and I don't see how I could build a similar backing for the capsule in a side-address config. I've little experience in creative mechanical work...

Add to this, I have never 'torn down' the capsule in full or seen a full disassembly, so I'm unsure what can even be disassembled to solder on the wires. I'd hate to damage part of the capsule in the process, these are hard to find and I don't have the money to play fast and loose... help me capsule anatomists and clever engineers!

I thought the obvious candidate for the ground wire would be the silver ring, but I can't figure out a way to remove it. Can it be removed?

Any suggestions for the center pin wiring?

Tack soldering doesn't seem trustworthy for longer term field usage. Also worried about heat during soldering, since that could possibly distort the plastic(?) threads on the pin for the plastic back disc to thread, affecting polar and frequency response. Game over if that's ruined.

Thanks for any helpful ideas,
IMG_1292.jpeg

I'd like to mount a Primo EM21 in a side-address housing. It's proving more challenging than I thought, so am hoping someone here may have some experience or suggestions to help.

I have an outer metal frame to house the EM21, but would have to mount with double-sided tape or silicone between EM21 and mic housing, so there won't be an option for metal to metal contact for ground via secure mechanical threading like in the Nakamichi donor. Additionally, the Nak uses a mechanical pressure connector for the center pin, and I don't see how I could build a similar backing for the capsule in a side-address config. I've little experience in creative mechanical work...

Add to this, I have never 'torn down' the capsule in full or seen a full disassembly, so I'm unsure what can even be disassembled to solder on the wires. I'd hate to damage part of the capsule in the process, these are hard to find and I don't have the money to play fast and loose... help me capsule anatomists and clever engineers!

I thought the obvious candidate for the ground wire would be the silver ring, but I can't figure out a way to remove it. Can it be removed?

Any suggestions for the center pin wiring?

Tack soldering doesn't seem trustworthy for longer term field usage. Also worried about heat during soldering, since that could possibly distort the plastic(?) threads on the pin for the plastic back disc to thread, affecting polar and frequency response. Game over if that's ruined.

Thanks for any helpful ideas,
View attachment 121727
Not sure about mounting and soldering, but if this is your capsule, you removed the crucial part that's there for response/pattern tuning. When in stock position, every degree of rotation position change will impact the tuning tremendously. For getting it back to right position you really need a precise acoustic measurement system.

Back