Channel Strip Project

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustav

Ive been putting together a channel strip, doing some trial and error, putting together elements, and finally arriving at a result that works pretty well for me.

I was going to ask about a single issue at this point...

1. How would you set up meter calibration?

I have an LED meter showing the mic input, and a VU meter thats switchable.

The comp/EQ order is switchable, so I thought a lot about where to tap the VU and ended drawing it directly from the output of each processing section, so the meter follows the around, so to speak (my alternative solution was to draw it as "between" and "output", regardless of the order of the two.

So, would love some input on how you would set up those levels (the unit has a line level input, and I get a different feel about the meter calibration, depending on wether I feed it line level or plug in a mic).

And it turns out, I have  a second issue I'd like some input on.

2. 48V

If I do not engage the 48V supply, the unit is clean  (I get hiss before anything else when stacking the gain up high on the sections).
If I engage 48V with no mic plugged in, its clean.
Plug in a condenser, and feed it phantom, and I get a bit of hum.

The hum changes when I flip the polarity switch

I have a few things I want to try, so this is not because I feel trouble shooting has hit a dead end. Ill replace the 100nF cap with a 47uF, adjust 48V down a little (its closer to 49V now), see if it helps super matching the 6K8, isolate the 48V supply and draw it from an alternative source etc.

With the transformer, I dont see why DC blocking caps should be necessary, but?

I would love to understand what could make the  amplitude of the hum change when I flip it the bØrd, though, so if anyone could help me there, I would really appreciate it.

Gustav

Attachments

• INPUT.gif
    INPUT.gif
    20.6 KB · Views: 64
Sounds like your 48V has a typical pin 1 problem. You have a lot of connections labelled GND. You need to separate signal 0V connections from chassis connections because they serve separate functions. Check out the grounding 101 document on the power folder of the DIY tab of my web site for details of good grounding practice.

http://www.customtubeconsoles.com/diy

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
Sounds like your 48V has a typical pin 1 problem. You have a lot of connections labelled GND. You need to separate signal 0V connections from chassis connections because they serve separate functions. Check out the grounding 101 document on the power folder of the DIY tab of my web site for details of good grounding practice.

http://www.customtubeconsoles.com/diy

Cheers

Ian

Thanks!

I figure out I had some AC on the regulator, capacitor cleaned it up, and everything seems to be running smoothly now, including that 48V supply.

Still very curious to hear opinions on meter levels.

Gustav

The important thing in a channel strip is to get the output of the mic pre at around 0dBu  or whatever nominal internal operating level you decide on. From then on  there should be enough headroom in the channel for metering not to be necessary. The only other point I would suggest switching the meter to is the direct output.

Cheers

Ian

Back