Cheap repairs...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnRoberts

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
I couldn't find the old thread about this so started a new one.

My 86 YO neighbor thinks I'm an electronic wizard who can fix anything and I do not discourage him, but recently my reputation got tested when his electric mobility scooter/chair refused to run... It got caught outdoors during a serious 1-1/2" rain storm and apparently the moisture led to the fault.
images

The embedded controller had smart diagnostics and was beeping out that the problem was with the speed control and/or wig-wag pot. (They call the forward/back lever control the wig-wag pot.). When the unit powers up it checks that the wig-wag pot is centered, and if not won't run.

After much digging into the wiring harness looking for the problem, I traced the wig-wag wiring all the way back to the embedded processor and confirmed continuity.

Inside the sealed(?) control box where the processor and control electronics I could see evidence of previous water damage, but it did not look recent or wet. When I removed the processor PCB and flipped it over, I could see some smutz (technical term) on the PCB in the area with a bunch of small SMD resistor.

I grabbed a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol to clean off the PCB and the fault cleared. So literally zero parts cost to repair. Of course then I had to repair the stuff I broke taking it apart. There was an old ribbon cable on the battery voltage meter with several broken wires I had to re-solder.

Apparently there is a max speed limit pot inside that limits the top speed of the scooter for safety reasons. I think they adjust it for 4 mph... I decided to turn that full up, so now my neighbors scooter moves a lot more briskly.  8)

So the lesson is the combination of rainwater and dirt or old corrosion can leave behind a conductive enough residue to mess with the embedded controller. It could have been worse, the fault just interfered with an external input, and not the high power control stuff.

JR

PS: I am a little reluctant to admit this but I am generally impressed by the design. Apparently there are about 20 similar models with the same guts made by one company in China. The built in trouble shooting beep codes probably help most service repairs,,, In my case it led me to waste a bunch of time on the controls when the problem was inside the control box, but alls well that ends well.   

JohnRoberts said:
I decided to turn that full up, so now my neighbors scooter moves a lot more briskly.  8)
You hotrodded a scooter! ;D
There could be a business there for the older crowd that still craves a little speed!

Ethan said:
JohnRoberts said:
I decided to turn that full up, so now my neighbors scooter moves a lot more briskly.  8)
You hotrodded a scooter! ;D
There could be a business there for the older crowd that still craves a little speed!

You beat me to it! Hot rod scooter clubs for oldies? Maybe even a forum w/ DIY kits! Great new source of retirement income 8>]

I'll probly be ridin' one soon enough 8>/

Dave (shaggy)

sahib said:
86 year old?

One foot is already in grave.

What's the hurry?

It is all relative and he is not ready to stop going to the post office every day, and working in the yard.

I'm glad to give him back his wheels.  ;D He was using his riding mower to get around for a couple days.

JR

Higher MPH will be shorter battery life, and possibly less miles per charge.

Today's no-cents repair: Yard sale, very fine slide-rule, utterly jammed-up. That's normal for wood sliderules in Maine summer. But this wasn't wood. The early Picketts were made of Magnesium. Like Aluminum, Mag gets white crusty stuff. Scratches on end where someone had tried to free it.

Turned out that loosening the bridge screws got just enough slack to work the rule out. Hand rub-down got some crud off. An hour of TV working the stick and cursor has made it slip slick.

Pickett Model 4, 34 scales. Dates to 1951-1953.... in 1954 it would be called a 4T, in 1950 they used a "P&E" logo (until K&E complained).

PRR said:
Higher MPH will be shorter battery life, and possibly less miles per charge.
Only if he drives it faster...He still has a master speed control that can make it go slow.
Today's no-cents repair: Yard sale, very fine slide-rule, utterly jammed-up. That's normal for wood sliderules in Maine summer. But this wasn't wood. The early Picketts were made of Magnesium. Like Aluminum, Mag gets white crusty stuff. Scratches on end where someone had tried to free it.
I recall my dad had a small metal slide rule. Back in my day good ones were bamboo(?), and cheap ones were plastic. Remarkable how much computing power you could get from a few cents of plastic. I recall working as a technician and designing filters with a "slip stick".
Turned out that loosening the bridge screws got just enough slack to work the rule out. Hand rub-down got some crud off. An hour of TV working the stick and cursor has made it slip slick.

Pickett Model 4, 34 scales. Dates to 1951-1953.... in 1954 it would be called a 4T, in 1950 they used a "P&E" logo (until K&E complained).
Sweet I remember K&E brand.

JR

> in my day good ones were bamboo(?)

Bamboo and wood both had fans.

It was hard to get scales to stick on metal, but everybody tried after WWII. My Picket was one of the best, but it took several years to get the product right. That gives many small details to date the item; however nobody is sure when each change was made. (University bookstores and their suppliers probably had a couple year inventory, so even if the old owner knows the date-sold, that may not be the date-made.)

> how much computing power you could get from a few cents of plastic.

Early Accu-Maths were vinyl and not impressive. Sterling bought the operation and made massive investment in polystyrene molding. I think these can be some of the BEST slipsticks ever made, even if they have the low-tech aura of a cereal-toy. They do not warp, if they stick it is a bit of snot in the groove, they do not break easy (usually cursor). Of course they flooded the market JUST before IC calculators came out. The racket was bust by 1972, but I heard the warehouse was still full in the 1980s when I lived down the street. I don't think they ever recovered their investment, though I do think the original entrepreneur sold-out to Borden.

I keep the pre-Stirling wood Accu-Design handy at the PC. Still the best way to find standard-value resistors near a desired ratio. Mine also has several handy constants printed on.

PRR said:
> in my day good ones were bamboo(?)

Bamboo and wood both had fans.

It was hard to get scales to stick on metal, but everybody tried after WWII. My Picket was one of the best, but it took several years to get the product right. That gives many small details to date the item; however nobody is sure when each change was made. (University bookstores and their suppliers probably had a couple year inventory, so even if the old owner knows the date-sold, that may not be the date-made.)

> how much computing power you could get from a few cents of plastic.

Early Accu-Maths were vinyl and not impressive. Sterling bought the operation and made massive investment in polystyrene molding. I think these can be some of the BEST slipsticks ever made, even if they have the low-tech aura of a cereal-toy. They do not warp, if they stick it is a bit of snot in the groove, they do not break easy (usually cursor). Of course they flooded the market JUST before IC calculators came out. The racket was bust by 1972, but I heard the warehouse was still full in the 1980s when I lived down the street. I don't think they ever recovered their investment, though I do think the original entrepreneur sold-out to Borden.

I keep the pre-Stirling wood Accu-Design handy at the PC. Still the best way to find standard-value resistors near a desired ratio. Mine also has several handy constants printed on.
After the EMP pulse kills all our computers the slip sticks will still work....  8)

JR

> After the EMP pulse kills all our computers the slip sticks will still work....

Note that most of the calculations for the Atom Bomb were done on slip-sticks.

Aside from general-purpose sticks, there were a few specialized ones just for atom-bomb work.

Back