Checking polarization voltage on a C12 type microphone/how does it work?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C12VR

I know that a multimeter is incapable of reading the voltage the capsule actually receives due to loading induced thereof, but short of buying an expensive meter, is there a reliable method of ensuring the pattern in practice lines up with the settings on the knob?
This is necessary in general but more specifically I have a poctop/Dany D-12 and I notice that the resistors on the pattern switch are not changed from stock APEX 460 values and thus do not reflect the original AKG schematic values (poctop's 150k and a final 150k after the switch vs 400k and a 1M after the switch). Is this because voltage has been adjusted accordingly? I know the current drawn by the backplate of the capsule is almost nonexistent, which via Ohm's law leads to the necessity for high value resistors to induce a sufficient voltage drop.
How, then, do these resistors affect the voltage so dramatically? Shouldn't voltage drop mostly on the 30M resistor, leaving the change derived from the switched resistors negligible?
I know the macroscopic mechanisms of capsule polarization, specifically that it is a function of the potential difference between the backplate and the membrane, with 0V on the back membrane being cardioid and 120v being figure-eight, assuming 60v backplate.
Sorry if my questions are inane. Thanks for your help 😄

Attachments

• AKG-c12.pdf
    41.3 KB · Views: 0
  • apex 460 psu schematic.jpg
    apex 460 psu schematic.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 0
1) Look up how a voltage divider works
2) High resistor values were chosen in order to not have any undue load on the B+ rail; it would've worked just as well with a string of 1k resistors, but that would've just burnt away power for no good reason
3) There should be no voltage drop across that (series) 30M resistor, because there is (or shouldn't be) any real current flowing through - remember your Ohm's law

I know that a multimeter is incapable of reading the voltage the capsule actually receives due to loading induced thereof, but short of buying an expensive meter, is there a reliable method of ensuring the pattern in practice lines up with the settings on the knob?
This is necessary in general but more specifically I have a poctop/Dany D-12 and I notice that the resistors on the pattern switch are not changed from stock APEX 460 values and thus do not reflect the original AKG schematic values (poctop's 150k and a final 150k after the switch vs 400k and a 1M after the switch). Is this because voltage has been adjusted accordingly? I know the current drawn by the backplate of the capsule is almost nonexistent, which via Ohm's law leads to the necessity for high value resistors to induce a sufficient voltage drop.
How, then, do these resistors affect the voltage so dramatically? Shouldn't voltage drop mostly on the 30M resistor, leaving the change derived from the switched resistors negligible?
I know the macroscopic mechanisms of capsule polarization, specifically that it is a function of the potential difference between the backplate and the membrane, with 0V on the back membrane being cardioid and 120v being figure-eight, assuming 60v backplate.
Sorry if my questions are inane. Thanks for your help 😄
https://audioimprov.com/AudioImprov...Bias_Voltage_for_True_Condenser_Capsules.html
Nevertheless, i found Apex460 style of pattern change to be extremely unreliable. Something that led me to start this thread. I'm nowhere near real solution.

https://groupdiy.com/threads/why-you-should-never-use-multi-pattern-mics.81157/

Powered off the safest way
Turn the pattern control to Omni(this has the pattern wiper at ground)
Disconnect the wire to the fig 8 of the pattern control
Measure the the individual resistors values with the same DMM
Add them in series and calculate the current with what ever pattern voltage you are looking to achieve.
Take the current and multiply it by the resistance and you get the voltage drop across each resistor
Add them up as a check

That is one safe way to test

FWIW worth measure and match( I would match to better than 1%) eight 47Ks to build the control correctly

The total current has to be correct for the bias to work with the stock 1K

Back