Cinemag CMMI-10APC Missing Pin #1

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkymonksf

I recently purchased two Cinemag CMMI-10APC mic trannies from someone off this forum. Unfortunately, the ethical soul forgot to mention that one of them had a really short #1 pin which broke off in transit. Even if it didn’t break off, it was maybe 2 mm long. So useless.

I’ll digress on that, but question is… is it possible to replace the pin? If so, how would you go about it?

I’ve contacted Cinemag to see if they offered a repair service.

I also contacted the seller, but his brilliant response was “ yea, it’s short but you can just solder a wire to it…” my goodness! My blood pressure rises just typing this. It’s a PCB mount tranny you tool!!

is it possible to replace the pin? If so, how would you go about it?

I've repaired one of these transformers in the past.
You have to open the can. Pry it around the base, but do it slowly and do it carefully to try to damage the case the least possible.

When you open it you have to see if you can solder a wire to the place the Pin was attached to. If you can't see where that connection was then you have to take the potting material and reach the transformer to solder a wire to the end of the coil that connects to pin 1. After that you have to use some potting material again and close the transformer in the case.

I don't remember what was the potting material originally used, I have some slight memory that it is a type of rubbery gunk but I'm not sure at the moment.

So first open it up, post photos here and we go from there.
You have to be really carefull to not break any other Pins. When I did it I think I broke 2 more Pins, so don't do the same mistake

Latest posts

Back