Cla speakers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually think it's pretty cool.  They previously released the drivers but it's nice now you can get the whole speaker..

I don't care for the big distracting signature on the front.  But NS-10s serve a market need.  I've found their mixcubes invaluable, so curious to see what these bring to the mixing party.

One of the most unique features of the NS-10 was that woofer. They are copying everything BUT the woofer. Why not just go all the way?

The main difference is we chose to go with a pressed cone as opposed to a lapped.

bluebird said:
One of the most unique features of the NS-10 was that woofer. They are copying everything BUT the woofer. Why not just go all the way?

The main difference is we chose to go with a pressed cone as opposed to a lapped.

for the same reason yamaha discontinued them I suppose, availability of materials.

The worrying thing for me is the tendency to use the same solutions which worked for someone else in another situation.

Even more given the fact a bunch of those solutions are product of the luck or experimentations.

I mean, the legend around the NS10 starts with Quincy Jones (I’m not really sure, not so much into this side of audio) bringing them to the studio from his home as a replacement. It worked, nice.

But I wouldn’t advice those speakers for a young engineer or almost nobody.

My opinion with NS10s is you have to mix AGAINST the speaker, knowing it’s limitations and weaknesses, that can work for some people, actually it does, but for me is more a trick than a universal solution.

I always feel uncomfortable with this kind of endorsement, using reputable professionals as product image. I wonder if you book CLA (in this case) for a mixing session will him use all those plugins with his name on them?, will he trust the whole mix to the speakers with his signature?

Just curious really

Back