Speaker placement

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive used a laser distance meter to accurately aim a set of small bookshelf speakers at my ears .
The close proximity of the tweeter and 3inch midrange centres on the front baffle as well as minimal depth difference between the apex of each drive unit translates into less time of arrival differences compared to larger designs .
The speakers were set on adjustable wall mounts with the tweeters roughly level in height with my ears at the listening position.

I tried other positions where speaker placement was higher , compensated for by tilting down a little ,
but that sets the tweeters further forward only worsening time of arrival difference between HF/LF .

I found I got the best stereo image with my ears dead level with the tweeters , even small movements of my head above or below the focus point led to less depth of field , or abillity to hear through/beyond the speakers .

The pulse generator idea looks like its well worth doing with modern PCB layout and components ,
theres no shortage of people here with CAD PCB design skills who would be prepared to collaborate is my guess .

Latest posts

Back