Cleaning a dynamic capsule with magnets

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, just to be super safe and transparent, I provide my Standard Disclaimer, below . . . .

You omitted "beware of falling rocks". Ha! See ya in court!
I am also concerned about possible polarization issues between a strong external magnet and an internal magnet in the cartridge, you know, attracting versus repelling, and other issues spring to mind in addition to the relative strength of multiple interacting magnetic fields.

Don't be.
You cannot depolarise a permanent magnet this way. Especially during such a short exposure. You may stop worrying.

If you heat it high enough though...
Just do not use an oxy-acetylene torch.

Do not use the probe (screwdriver/steel rod/whatever) totally free hand. Put it against the edge of the mic body or wrap one hand around the body and place the probe against your finger, lever-like. This way you have good control over magnetic attraction and no risk of sudden pull.
This way you can lower and rise the tip in a very precise way.

Do not use the probe (screwdriver/steel rod/whatever) totally free hand. Put it against the edge of the mic body or wrap one hand around the body and place the probe against your finger, lever-like. This way you have good control over magnetic attraction and no risk of sudden pull.
This way you can lower and rise the tip in a very precise way.
This is how it is done, as I already several times have pointed out. No rocket-science. Of course you are free to develope your fine technical ideas, but I am afraid you just wasting your time. No need to make it more complicated, than it is.

You omitted "beware of falling rocks". Ha! See ya in court!

Not So, Dick Tracy. Um ... er ... My disclaimer actually includes "Falling rock" ... Look again, old man! :)

As the old saw goes:

Your eyes may sparkle,
Your teeth may glitter,
But you cannot bullshit
The old bullshitter. :)

You cannot depolarise a permanent magnet this way. Especially during such a short exposure. You may stop worrying. ... If you heat it high enough though...

Thanks for the uptake. I was more concerned about the effects of repelling and attracting, than demagnetizing or depolarizing the cartridge magnet. I am guessing magnetized particles on the diaphragm will be attracted to the stronger of the two magnets in any case. I am also concerned about the diaphragm slamming into the stronger external magnet, deforming or cutting it. Damaging the diaphragm whist cleaning it is, I suppose, contraindicated.

Great fun. Thanks for playing along! James

I am also concerned about the diaphragm slamming into the stronger external magnet, deforming or cutting it.

Why would the diaphragm slam into the stronger external magnet? Mylar isn't magnetic, and neither is copper, as far as I know...

.. Look again, old man!

Old man?!? OLD!?! You...!! You...

You promised to keep the secret!!!
I am also concerned about the diaphragm slamming into the stronger external magnet, deforming or cutting it.
Do not fret, my dear. You will not damage the magnet. These are tough MFs.

No, the diaphragm will not slam into the magnet. It is not magnetic itself and the dirt particles on it have no such lifting capability.
Stop running around, sit down, calm yourself. She'll be fine.

Damaging the diaphragm whist cleaning it is, I suppose, contraindicated.
Only whilst cleaning.

Why would the diaphragm slam into the stronger external magnet? Mylar isn't magnetic, and neither is copper, as far as I know...

Oops. Mr. @pmfalcman and Mr. @Khron are correct - I misspoke when I said "diaphragm" - sloppy work by this old scrivener!

I was concerned the cartridge magnet would be drawn to the external magnet, squashing or pinching the diaphragm in between. I presume the diaphragm is situated between the cartridge magnet and the external magnet. N'est ce pas?

Boy ... you guys don't miss a beat !! James

Latest posts

Back