CLM Dynamics DB500S Expounder

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Rohan,

I'm coming in very late on this thread. Sorry about that.
It came to my attention whilst I was on vacation, I just got back.

Anyways, I am the designer for Trident at PMI Audio and also the guy who redesigned the Trident Hi-Lo 500 unit. It was the tracking filter portion of the Expounder which was updated and improved. It was Allan Bradford who worked at CLM Dynamics who designed the initial unit and I don't believe it was a patented design, I may be wrong.

Anyways, since CLM Dynamics was purchased by PMI audio they own all rights to the design.
I am surprised that you did not get any help from PMI Audio service. I believe they probably responded as such because we do not carry any of the components any more for that design and as such would not take on a repair. But in the interest of you trying to repair the unit yourself we can provide documentation, under certain conditions which we can discuss.

If you want to private message me, I have access to all the old schematics you require. I guess now we have to see if you can get your unit returned :-(

Let me know if you are interested and if you get your unit back.

Taz.

Hi Rohan,

Anyways, I am the designer for Trident at PMI Audio and also the guy who redesigned the Trident Hi-Lo 500 unit. It was the tracking filter portion of the Expounder which was updated and improved. It was Allan Bradford who worked at CLM Dynamics who designed the initial unit and I don't believe it was a patented design, I may be wrong.

Anyways, since CLM Dynamics was purchased by PMI audio they own all rights to the design.
I am surprised that you did not get any help from PMI Audio service. I believe they probably responded as such because we do not carry any of the components any more for that design and as such would not take on a repair. But in the interest of you trying to repair the unit yourself we can provide documentation, under certain conditions which we can discuss.

If you want to private message me, I have access to all the old schematics you require. I guess now we have to see if you can get your unit returned :-(

Taz.
Taz!
That would be fantastic!

A few moments ago I was able to get a telephone pick-up from Vince at Audio Pro in Watertown MA, who contracted to repair my DB500S last December.

Without going into detail, I will confirm that he has not fulfilled our agreement for reasons not suitable to discuss on the group thread.

At conclusion I told him to wrap it up and send my Expounder back.

Rohan

Hi All,

Following this thread with interest, as I own an Expounder with an excessively noisy channel.

@Taz: Thanks for chiming in, I sent you a private conversation.

Best, Rogy

Hi Rohan,

Taz.
Yo Taz, hows it going...?

JR

The 'audio pro' nutter telephoned this afternoon. 12min 47sec of nonsense.

Additional to the money I sent with my DB500S last December (for zero result), he wants $US60 to ship it back - with the transformer and power supply board removed.

It is worth another sixty bucks to be able to block the lunatic's number.

Getting my Expounder back will also be nice.

Taz - moving forward finally!

The 'audio pro' nutter telephoned this afternoon. 12min 47sec of nonsense.

Additional to the money I sent with my DB500S last December (for zero result), he wants $US60 to ship it back - with the transformer and power supply board removed.

It is worth another sixty bucks to be able to block the lunatic's number.

Getting my Expounder back will also be nice.

Taz - moving forward finally!
you ever see the move a bronx tale? maybe your getting off easy in that you won't have to see him again.

Hi Rohan,

Taz.
Very old thread but, anyone have a schematics for a CLM Expounder ? Or can recommend someone to repair
Thank ken

With any unit and not having a schematic,
There are some things to check.
1.psu is outputting the correct voltage
2.capacitors. Those units run warm so a recap is in order. You don’t need a schematic for that, just test the caps and see which are bad and replace.

With any unit and not having a schematic,
There are some things to check.
1.psu is outputting the correct voltage
2.capacitors. Those units run warm so a recap is in order. You don’t need a schematic for that, just test the caps and see which are bad and replace.
Can you recommend someone to do this ?
At my age I’m not steady enough soldering anymore

I am originally from OKC, but now in Kansas. Semi retired now and I am now even more adamant than I used to be about having service info for a totally unknown device! <g>

Bri

Back