Come out ye Black and Tans

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubetec

Joe got his wires somewhat crossed yesterday , 🥴
https://www.thejournal.ie/white-house-explains-black-and-tans-biden-comment-6043064-Apr2023/the story has rocketed around the world this morning , leading to the white house issuing a statement on the matter .
Its quite interesting to see how the various news outlets are handling the story ,

Its fair to say Joe recieved a very warm welcome in his ancestoral home of Dundalk ,Co.Louth ,
definately no offence taken over the minor gaff here .

Joe got his wires somewhat crossed yesterday , 🥴
https://www.thejournal.ie/white-house-explains-black-and-tans-biden-comment-6043064-Apr2023/the story has rocketed around the world this morning , leading to the white house issuing a statement on the matter .
Its quite interesting to see how the various news outlets are handling the story ,

Its fair to say Joe recieved a very warm welcome in his ancestoral home of Dundalk ,Co.Louth ,
definately no offence taken over the minor gaff here .
When I hear "black and tan" I think of the 50/50 mix of stout and light ale....
iu

I know enough history to recognize another "black and tan" more familiar to residents of your region (Brit constables recruited a century ago during the Irish war of independence). After WWI ended there were lots of unemployed British soldiers so thousands of them were hired by the Royal Irish Constabulary as reinforcements.

I won't bloviate to you about your history.

No this did not make a ripple in the news cycle over here, but President Biden is notorious for his gaffs.

JR

Go the All Blacks!

Actually, I'm pretty tired of our national team. I might go for Ireland at the world cup. One of my distant relatives played for Ireland some years ago. As long as the English don't win.

I did listen to Joe's keynote speech at the Mansion House last night , it went out live over the national airwaves .
Towards the end he mentioned the stutter which for years prevented him speaking the words he wanted to say and how in the end he managed to overcome it ,
Ive always had the abillity to project my voice forward , say exactly what I'm thinking ,but at the same time I did connect with what the guy said .
I think he was able to express a vulnerabillity in a way Donald Trump couldnt or wouldnt ever do .

Trumps only Interest in Ireland is the piece of it he owns , a golf course and high end hotel in the county Clare . He attempted to erect a fence cutting off public access to the beach front , which extended well beyond the low water mark , I think the local authority over ruled his attempt to draw a line in the sand ,so to speak , so there was no fence in the end , when he couldnt bully the local authority into allowing him to do what he wanted he soon lost interest in the Doonbeg project .

I cant say I ever heard of a pint of Black and Tan ordered in a bar here . If an American tourist rocked up to the average workingmans pub and asked for it they'd get a few funny looks, they might just fill your pint from the slops tray, over charge you and have a good laugh about it afterwards .

Theres few other expressions we use here relating to strange combinations of drink jumbled up in a glass , a 'Donkeys bollocks' is one , 'Snakebite' is the other , its typically a mix of cider and beer .
The combination of the two drinks is more than the sum of its parts in terms of the effect ,
I sometimes finish up with a cider on ice after a few rounds of beer , not in the same glass though , the mixing is done onboard . Theres a strange feeling when the two liquids mix in the stomach ,
if your not used to it you could easily give your self the 'gawks' 🤮 ,
Ive definately seen a few people turn green and spew up on it over the years .

I used have a buddy here from Brooklyn ,sadly he passed away a martyr to the drink by the age of 39 , it was funny to hear him speak the local bar room lingo with the heavy New York accent,
Played a mean blues guitar also ,life and soul of the party but it caught up with him in the end and we had to lay him to rest in his ancestoral home in Co, Tipperary .

Im dreaming up a musical concept at the moment ,
Its a special collection of Irish drinking songs ,
Not the usual flag waving stuff that has everyone with tears streaming down their faces into their pints
but more light hearted , with cautionary tales of what the excesses of drink can bring along with it ,
Hopefully a little message to a newer generation of musicians starting out on the road ,
I have at least three really good songs already , and I'll be putting out the feelers on a few more hidden gems from my friends .

As Ive mentioned in a few other musical based posts were in a bit of a golden moment here as far as folk is concerned , true to form ,Irish music has come out of the corner covid had us all painted into fighting , not with fists or insults , but words that connect us, not words that set us apart .

Just about time for my afternoon coffee ,
'good luck whatever' as my grandad used to say .

I cant say I ever heard of a pint of Black and Tan ordered in a bar here . If an American tourist rocked up to the average workingmans pub and asked for it they'd get a few funny looks, they might just fill your pint from the slops tray, over charge you and have a good laugh about it afterwards .
The typical American tourist would order Guinness. I drank all those black and tans while traveling around the UK with my sales rep.
Theres few other expressions we use here relating to strange combinations of drink jumbled up in a glass , a 'Donkeys bollocks' is one , 'Snakebite' is the other , its typically a mix of cider and beer .
The combination of the two drinks is more than the sum of its parts in terms of the effect ,
The porter style of beer was named for the mix of light and dark unfinished beers at the end of the night collected while cleaning up the bar. The odd leftover beer was mixed together into one pitcher and then given to the porters to consume. The lighter than stout but heavier than light ale became a popular new category, called Porter, brewed that way on purpose.
Just about time for my afternoon coffee ,
'good luck whatever' as my grandad used to say .
Good luck... Irish coffee?

So is Bush II, as well as Trump.
It is an old tradition for comedians to make fun of our leaders (protected by first amendment speech). For a perhaps interesting comparison, I recall back in 1975 when President Ford stumbled down some airplane stairs. He was roasted by Chevy Chase almost weekly on SNL for his one stumble. That was amusing because president Ford was a college athlete (played football IIRC). President Biden has stumbled multiple times (4?) on the air force one steps. At this point it is no longer amusing, if anything a little concerning. People his age have brittle bones and a serious fall could break something.

JR

Was way to early in the day when I wrote the post to be having an alcoholic beverage ,
Just around beer o clock here now , cheers ,

Biden does seem to be having rather a lot of senior moments and to be expecting to carry off another four years after sounds like a tall order ,
Trump tried to undermine Bidens Irish visit and at the same time probably cost himself a few Irish American votes if his time comes round again .
Really doesnt look like a smart move for Biden to run against Trump though , politics and the political system is dying , the youth are disengaged and completely underepresented .
Sadly seems like the USA will continue to be ruled by antiques .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back