Confusion about output driver and signal levels

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nidare

Hi!

I am working on the output driver for a DIY comp/eq unit.

I got confused when observing how small the output level is reported in my DAW before clipping the opamp output when using a NE5532 with +/- 15V supply.

On the scope I see about 22V peak to peak before clipping the opamp which I guess is expected.

I am trying to drive the balanced line inputs on my presonus 2626 audio interface. The inputs are stated in the manual as 10k input impedance and +18 dbu maximum input level.

If I load the output of the opamp using an unbalanced TS jack to the audio interface I still observe 22V peak to peak on the tip of the jack but the DAW reports the level as being way below 0 dBFS

I was under impression that I could double the level by using transformer balanced output so I have tried to connect the primary single ended side of a standard 1:1 10k transformer to the opamp output and the differential side to
a TRS jack.

When I do this I observe half the levels (11V peak to peak) on each secondary when leaving the TRS jack unplugged from the audio interface.
I observe 22V peak to peak on one of the secondaries when plugging in the TRS jack but 0V on the other secondary.
I started reading up on "impedance balanced" inputs which I think is the case for this interface.

This has gotten me quite confused and I wonder how on earth I can create an output driver that can drive the audio interface to healthy levels? :D
Is it correct that "impedance balanced" inputs ruins the benefit of having twice the voltage swing when using an output transformer?
Is it correct that I should observe the single ended signal level on each leg of the secondary output transformer when unloaded?
Is it common practice to use a 2:1 output transformer to boost the output level to avoid higher supplies?

Can you post a schematic of your output stage? Are you sure the hold and cold are in anti-phase?

Which interface are you using. From you description it sounds like it has unbalanced inputs.

Impedance balanced refers to the outputs of an interface rather than the inputs so it should not be a factor in what you observe.

Cheers

Ian

Can you post a schematic of your output stage? Are you sure the hold and cold are in anti-phase?

Which interface are you using. From you description it sounds like it has unbalanced inputs.

Impedance balanced refers to the outputs of an interface rather than the inputs so it should not be a factor in what you observe.

Cheers

Ian
"Impedance balanced refers to the outputs of an interface rather than the inputs so it should not be a factor in what you observe."

Ahh I see, then I can rule that out, thanks!

"Which interface are you using. From you description it sounds like it has unbalanced inputs."
The interface is presonus 2626 quantum, I can confirm it has balanced inputs.

"Can you post a schematic of your output stage?"
I have attached a simplified drawing, sleeve is left floating.

"Are you sure the hold and cold are in anti-phase?"
I have only a one channel oscilloscope but if I probe them separately they seem to have the same phase, not sure if the oscilloscope triggers such that they look more similar than they are tough.

When I connect the TRS to the interface, hot gets twice the swing and cold goes to 0V which I find weird.

If I connect an additional transformer to the output TRS jack on the bench to go back from differential to single ended I get the expected voltage swing. So it seems like something goes wrong when interfacing with the interface 🤔

Simplified drawing

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 22.21.08.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 22.21.08.png
    322.4 KB · Views: 1
Hi!

I got confused when observing how small the output level is reported in my DAW before clipping the opamp output when using a NE5532 with +/- 15V supply.

On the scope I see about 22V peak to peak before clipping the opamp which I guess is expected.

I am trying to drive the balanced line inputs on my presonus 2626 audio interface. The inputs are stated in the manual as 10k input impedance and +18 dbu maximum input level.

If I load the output of the opamp using an unbalanced TS jack to the audio interface I still observe 22V peak to peak on the tip of the jack but the DAW reports the level as being way below 0 dBFS

0dBFS is digital clipping, or full scale... How far below 0dBFS is it?

JR
I was under impression that I could double the level by using transformer balanced output so I have tried to connect the primary single ended side of a standard 1:1 10k transformer to the opamp output and the differential side to
a TRS jack.

When I do this I observe half the levels (11V peak to peak) on each secondary when leaving the TRS jack unplugged from the audio interface.
I observe 22V peak to peak on one of the secondaries when plugging in the TRS jack but 0V on the other secondary.
I started reading up on "impedance balanced" inputs which I think is the case for this interface.

This has gotten me quite confused and I wonder how on earth I can create an output driver that can drive the audio interface to healthy levels? :D
Is it correct that "impedance balanced" inputs ruins the benefit of having twice the voltage swing when using an output transformer?
Is it correct that I should observe the single ended signal level on each leg of the secondary output transformer when unloaded?
Is it common practice to use a 2:1 output transformer to boost the output level to avoid higher supplies?

0dBFS is digital clipping, or full scale... How far below 0dBFS is it?

JR
Here is a screenshot from the interface monitoring tool.
Measured Vpp on hot/tip is around 22V.

cold/ring goes to 0V when I plug in the TRS jack to the interface.

If I unplug the TRS jack I observe about 11Vpp on hot and 11Vpp on cold

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 22.46.07.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 22.46.07.png
    127.9 KB · Views: 1
Yeah I agree :D

But I am confused if the audio interface actually receives that since it states maximum +18dBu input level before clipping.

+18dBu is above the 0VU level, give or take...

what is the interface full scale? If the 0 dBFS is = +18dB, then dB below 0dBFS is subtracted from that +18dBu.

JR

Just some troubleshooting thoughts…

The measurement on your screenshot shows around - 17 for both peak and RMS but your signal is some sort of sine-ish waveform. What should that meter show us?

If 0VU is 1.23 V RMS, and 0 dBFS = + 22 dBu (+ 18 dB over 0 VU), figure out where +22 V p-p should land in dBFS.

Also, maybe your test signal is not what you think? Maybe you’re not measuring what you think in the DAW? Maybe the interface has an input gain setting at an unexpected level?

You may already know all this - I’m just thinking how I would puzzle this out.

Balanced vs. unbalanced shouldn’t play into this if you’ve correctly measured the output in your cable…

Here is a screenshot from the interface monitoring tool.
Measured Vpp on hot/tip is around 22V.
OK, and I see you have a balanced floating transformer output
cold/ring goes to 0V when I plug in the TRS jack to the interface.
Not sure what you mean by this. Is this a signal measurement or a continuity measurement.? All measurements need to be made between two points and when we talk about balanced signals you need to specify both and be precise about what you are measuring.
If I unplug the TRS jack I observe about 11Vpp on hot and 11Vpp on cold
Again, between which two points? With a transformer balanced floating output the signal exists only between the hot an the cold of the transformer. Measuring from hot or cold to somewhere else is meaningless.

Cheers

Ian

Not sure what you mean by this. Is this a signal measurement or a continuity measurement.? All measurements need to be made between two points and when we talk about balanced signals you need to specify both and be precise about what you are measuring.
You are absolutely right, I messed up and measured relative to signal ground, ignore it.

I have created a simpler setup in order to figure this out:

I connect my signal generator directly to an unbalanced TS jack that I connect to the audio interface.
I configure the signal generator to generate a sine at roughly 20 Vpp that I confirm is present on the tip relative to signal ground using an oscilloscope.
The DAW reports this as being -18.7 dBFS

First question: Is this perfectly fine and expected? I thought that I could easily drive the AD into clipping with 30V rails but that is not the case. Are there any significant drawbacks in terms of signal-to-noise ratio since I am not able to use the full dynamic range?

Next, I connect the signal generator to a 1:1 transformer and then take the differential output using a balanced TRS jack to the audio interface.
On the primary side I see 20 Vpp relative to signal ground as expected.
On secondary side I see 20 Vpp when probing hot relative to cold.
The DAW reports this as being -19.1 dBFS

Second question: Am I wrong in assuming that this should +6dB relative to -18.7dBFS?

Hi!

a TRS jack.

A sine wave signal of 22 Vpp (22 volts peak-to-peak) can be divided by 2.8 to get the RMS value. So 22 / 2.8 = 7.7 VRMS.

A sine wave voltage of 7.7 VRMS corresponds to a voltage of 20 dBu. As others have said, this is a perfectly reasonable level for a device that has to supply a typical line level input to subsequent device with balanced line input.

Your Presonus 2626 accepts a maximum voltage of 18 dBu (6.2 VRMS) at the line input.

If you feed the Presonus more than this 18 dBu, its input stage will distort.

These 18 dBu correspond to 0 dBFS (0 dB full scale). The headroom [dB] must be subtracted from this voltage. The headroom is the distance you want to keep from the maximum allowable voltage so that you never get into the region where the signal is clipped and produces audible distortion.

If you have a mixer with a VU volume indicator (be it a pointer instrument or an LED chain), then the instrument will have a 0 VU mark. A 0VU indication corresponds to a voltage of 4 dBu (1.23 VRMS at the output jacks. With non-sinusoidal signals, such as music, the actual output voltage is higher than shown by the VU meter. The reason is that the VU meter cannot display signal peaks because it is too sluggish (and it has to be, otherwise it does not represent the subjective hearing perception of volume).

Your Presonus 2526 tolerates up to 18 dBu input voltage. This means that you have 14 dB of headroom left between the nominal level (display 0 VU) and the maximal allowable level on the input stage of the Presonus. That is not much. In practice this means that you

a) have to feed the Presonus with a compressed signal that does not have a difference of more than 14 dB between the nominal level (0 VU) and maximum level (0 dBFS),

b) or you limit the indication on the VU meter on your mixer to e.g. -6 VU. Then you have a headroom of (14 dB + 6 dB =) 20 dB, which is a reasonable value for unprocessed live microphone signals.

If your "DIY comp/eq unit" can deliver an undistorted level of 22 V pp, this is more than enough to be feed the follow-up device Presonus (or any other typical audio device) with a "healthy level" (as you call it).

I would question more why you want an output transformer on your device. Such a transformer is only necessary if you do not know whether gear with unbalanced inputs will be connected instead of the Presonus.

If you want a "universal output" that works with both balanced and unbalanced downstream devices, choose an impedance balanced output.

See drawing 2.4 on this link. on page 3.

https://www.jensen-transformers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/an003.pdf

or

https://tinyurl.com/37f9ks9f

I'm a fan of audio transformers, but I'd rather invest the money in a transformer in front of the input of a device instead of an output transformer. A good input transformer has excellent rejection of spurious signals on the incoming line, regardless of whether the source has balanced or unbalanced output.

Nick Salis

On the scope I see about 22V peak to peak before clipping the opamp
[overlapping a little with the post from Nick Salis because his posted while I was still typing this]

Audio levels are defined in RMS values relative to a sine wave of the same amplitude. 22V p-p is 11V peak, which for a sine wave is 7.78V RMS. 7.78V RMS is right at 20 dBu (which is calculated as 20*log(Vrms/0.775) ). Just to make sure everyone is on the same page about the levels being discussed in different terms (peak voltage, RMS voltage, dBu levels).

Running from +/-15V supplies an NE5532 should be able to hit 12V or almost 13V peaks, but even going to 26Vp-p levels is only a little more than 21 dBu, so the difference between 11V peaks and 13V peaks is not much to worry about.

In either case, an NE5532 is more than capable of driving to the maximum level that the interface can handle.
There are some details of the input circuitry you would need to know to verify that the interface can actually handle 18dBu in all configurations, or if it actually requires symmetrical drive to handle that.

I was under impression that I could double the level by using transformer...I have tried to connect the primary single ended side of a standard 1:1 10k transformer

To double the output level you would need to use a 1:2 transformer. A 1:1 transformer simply transfers the input voltage to the secondary winding, providing galvanic isolation but no change in level (other than possibly a slight level drop due to the resistance which the secondary winding is adding in the signal path).

When I do this I observe half the levels (11V peak to peak) on each secondary

The terms seems to be mixed a little bit. A "1:1" transformer usually implies one primary winding and one secondary winding, but when you write "each secondary" that implies there is more than one. Is the transformer a 1:1CT (center-tapped secondary)?

A specific transformer part number and schematic will help clarify what you are seeing. The schematic you drew in post #4 shows a transformer with a single secondary, so what does "other secondary" refer to?

I have only a one channel oscilloscope but if I probe them separately they seem to have the same phase,

Phase (or even polarity, i.e. a complete positive/negative swap independent of frequency) can only be measured relative to a reference signal, so you cannot tell with a single channel 'scope. There are certain asymmetric test signals you could use to check with only a single channel scope, but with a sine wave you have no way to tell what the relationship is to the other signal pin.

When I connect the TRS to the interface, hot gets twice the swing and cold goes to 0V which I find weird

What connections do you have between the transformer, pin 2, pin 3, the audio interface, and the oscilloscope when measuring with the TRS connection?

Measuring from hot or cold to somewhere else is meaningless.

I know that Ian (ruffrecords) knows this, but just so it is really clear to any less experienced people:
Almost every oscilloscope (except a battery powered portable 'scope) will have the probe reference pin labeled as "gnd" and tied to the chassis 0V level, which is going to be referenced to the power line protective earth connection.
An AC powered audio interface (such as your PreSonus) may or may not have a protective earth connection depending on how the power supply is wired and whether the computer interface is fully isolated or not. The safest expectation is that the interface will also have the circuit reference/0V/"gnd" connection tied to power line protective earth in some way as well.

So if you connect an oscilloscope probe between pins 2 and 3, that will connect the pin to which the probe gnd is connected to the 0V potential defined by power line ground. That may or may not change the measurement depending on whether the output is transformer coupled, directly driven with asymmetric drive (e.g. impedance balanced ouptut), directly driven with symmetric drive but using a cross-coupled circuit to emulate a transformer, or directly driven with symmetric drive using independent op-amp channels.
In other words you need to have some fairly sophisticated understanding of the circuitry you are measuring in order to interpret the results correctly.

(re: new measuring setup)
I connect my signal generator directly to an unbalanced TS jack that I connect to the audio interface.

The audio interface is balanced, so how exactly did you connect the signal generator? Are you using the TRS portion of the combo jack on one of the mic/line switchable inputs (input jacks 3-8)?

I configure the signal generator to generate a sine at roughly 20 Vpp

That is 19dBu, so should be slightly overdriving the interface since maximum input is specified as 18dBu.

The DAW reports this as being -18.7 dBFS

Something is wrong there, that should be 0 dB FS, or at least -6 dB FS even if the interface has some kind of brain-dead non-differential design (which I don't expect from PreSonus).
Are you sure that the signal level is still 20V p-p when the signal generator is connected to the interface? Most signal generators should have no problem at all driving into 10k.
It would also be good to double check that there are no software level controls anywhere in the data path which might be attenuating the signal in the digital domain.

Second question: Am I wrong in assuming that this [transformer coupled 20V p-p signal] should +6dB relative to -18.7dBFS?

That is wrong, 20V peak-to-peak (or 7V RMS as it would more typically be described in audio context) is the same voltage no matter whether you transformer couple it or not. A decent audio input design will have true differential inputs, so all the signal amplitude on pin 2 only and 0V on pin 3 (as you get with a TR plug inserted into the combo jack) will be the same as half amplitude on pin 2 and half the amplitude on pin 3. The exception to that may be if the input accepts a maximum level which is difficult to handle with typical 15V power supplies. For example 24 dBu is over 17V peak (about 34.7V peak-to-peak) so that obviously cannot be input directly to an op-amp running from 15V bipolar supplies without attenuation. Some input designs will attenuate the input signal so that even asymmetric 24dBu input can be handled, some will require that signals over some value are symmetrically driven, so you just have to know the limits of the device you are using. Does not likely apply to your Quantum which only accepts up to 18 dBu signals (which is just under 6.2V RMS, or about 17.4V peak-to-peak) maximum.

So a 20V peak-to-peak signal should be showing up as over 0 dB FS (clipping indicator should be on) whether directly coupled or transformer coupled.
Both connections should be the same, the question is why do they get displayed as around -19 dB FS instead of 0 dB FS? The signal is actually around 20 dBu, so if accurate the meter would be indicating that to hit full scale the signal would have to reach 39 dBu. That is obviously nonsense (a signal that high would be almost 70V RMS, or over 195V peak-to-peak) so the question is where is the level being attenuated between the physical inputs and the metering software.

I cannot find an online user manual for that interface. Do the LED's beside the gain knobs turn red when clipping? The 2nd harmonic is pretty high in that meter picture, I would think that a clipping indicator would be on somewhere.

all together too much info for such a simple scenario. 22db is expected from audio grade chip opamps with +/- 15v. If that's what you measure then good...that part is correct and does not need further consideration. If AtoD interface is spec'd to handle up to 18 db input (which is petty) then expect it to clip if given any more than 18db, but it might not...can't always trust the specs. So lower output of chip opamp to 17 db for now. If AtoD does not read 17db something is wrong with it or cabling from opamp to to AtoD. Check cabling...it's OK then prob is with AtoD or it's settings. BTW, 1/4" male plug should be wired tip hot and ring to sheild and sheild to shelild. Sheild at opamp side of cable is attached to Ground which is ground or 0 volt of opamp circuit. Prob you're having could be as simple as wiring mistake or prob with AtoD input jack.

transformers but not needed but should work fine. typical output transformer can be wired for no gain, or 6db gain. impedance not an issue here, except not that most opamps can drive at max voltage (22db) into a 600 (or lower) impedance. Discreet opamps are needed for 22db drive inot 600 ohms.

If you connect a 600 ohm to 600 ohm transformer at the output of opamp, and the receiving circuit is say, 10000 ohms, the opamp will not see the transformer as a 600 ohm load but more like 10000 ohm load. The impedance to which secondary of transformer is connected is "seen" at primary(more or less) if transformer ratio is 1:1. at other ratios as one might expect but not perfectly so when not using transformer at impedances spec'd by manufacturer.

So you don't need an input or output transformer, but you might want one to break ground loops to reduce or eliminate hum. Also, if you use a discreet opamp you can drive the transformer hard, like with most of signal around 10 or 12 db (as if vu meter was set at 10 or 12 db instead of 4db) and use a load of around 1200 to 2400 ohms on the transformer seconday to get hotter warmer sound and impress your friends and family.

One last thing...if a spec (like digital interace spec) assumes normal level is +4db, then it might spec it's clip point at 18db, though in fact clip point is 22db (18 + 4=22)

Good Luck

Thanks for all your help.

It turns out that setting the gain pot to zero on this audio interface actually attenuates... midpoint is zero gain.
But I learned a lot about levels and that my output driver is perfectly fine!
Case closed.

This is an important point for so many. I see engineers in the studio turning the output trim knob of a mic pre halfway down because there is a dot at 12 o'clock on the legend and then they overdrive the mic gain to get a healthy level. Then they complain that our preamp is distorting. I usually politely ask them if they know if the output trim is an attenuator or an active stage and get a blank stare. Then I gently mention to them that if they want to consider themselves competent (or even professional), they should learn about the gear they are using, whether it's in their own setup or at another studio.

Manufacturers also should properly label the unity setting for any output knob. As an example, the AMS Neve 1073LB (500 module) has a -20 to +5 dB output trim know. The BAE 10-series racks, as well as other brands, provide an output attenuator (0 - -inf). So the "Neve" output knob might be active or passive...

You can't blame a user for not knowing what the output knob actually does—for the first few minutes, but then...

Manufacturers also should properly label the unity setting for any output knob.

Or in this case the gain knob. I finally found the online user manual for that interface, and it states that the maximum input level for the line input at minimum gain is +18 dBu, but nowhere (that I could find) does it state the gain range of the line input, nor does it state that minimum gain is not at full counter-clockwise rotation of the knob. There are also no markings around the knob, so seems to be very poorly thought out for those who do know what they are doing (or would like to learn).

Or in this case the gain knob. I finally found the online user manual for that interface, and it states that the maximum input level for the line input at minimum gain is +18 dBu, but nowhere (that I could find) does it state the gain range of the line input, nor does it state that minimum gain is not at full counter-clockwise rotation of the knob. There are also no markings around the knob, so seems to be very poorly thought out for those who do know what they are doing (or would like to learn).
Exactly! In this case I think there is a software control panel, similar to UAD, so the knob actually has multiple functions - none of which might be clear to a new user.

Now if only my assistants and students would take to heart that -18 dBFS is 0 VU!

"all together too much info for such a simple scenario"

No, I do not think so. So many people stumble over this topic that it's worth discussing.

"22db is expected from audio grade chip opamps with +/- 15v"

He didn't measure "22db" but rather 22 volts peak-to-peak (22 Vpp) which corresponds to a level of 7.8 volts RMS (7.8 VRMS) or 20 dBu. (How to convert a voltage specification in volts to a specification in dBu see the above post by ccaudle.)

As ccaudle mentioned, specifying a voltage as volts peak-to-peak (Vpp) is not common when working with audio levels. If you measure a voltage with an oscilloscope and read the voltage using the curve shown there, you will of course inevitably see a peak-to-peak value. However, you should immediately convert this by dividing the Vpp value by 2.8 to get the VRMS value and make further calculations with this RMS value, otherwise you will confuse yourself and others. BTW: When you specify a sinusoidal audio voltage as so and so many volts (without additional designations such as PP, RMS, etc.) you always mean VRMS. It is therefore common to to simply specify an audio voltage in volts (without additional designations) or, better yet, in dBu.

"typical output transformer can be wired for no gain, or 6db gain. impedance not an issue here, except not that most opamps can drive at max voltage (22db) into a 600 (or lower) impedance. Discreet opamps are needed for 22db drive inot 600 ohms."

Please be more precise with such information. It's called dB, not db. Stating "6 dB gain" would be correct, but specifying an output voltage as 22 dB is incorrect. It has to be 22 dBu (or dBm, or dBV or dBwhatever), otherwise the voltage is not defined.

Furthermore, we should stop with these "600 ohm" discussions. There is no such thing as 600 Ohms in (today's) analog audio world. Outputs are low impedance (e.g. 30 ohms), and inputs are high impedance (e.g. 10000 ohms).

"One last thing...if a spec (like digital interace spec) assumes normal level is +4db, then it might spec it's clip point at 18db, though in fact clip point is 22db (18 + 4=22)"

No. This kind of confusion in the information happens exactly when you don't differentiate between gain in dB and level in dBu. If a device states a nominal level (0 VU) of 4 dBu in the data sheet and at the same time lists a maximum permissible input level of 18 dBu, then the input stage of such a device begins to distort as soon as the level of 18 dBu is exceeded.
If you want to supply such a device with a level of more than 18 dBu, you must connect an attenuator (step-down transformer, resistor combination, potentiometer, etc.) between the sound source and the device's input.

The case where you need such an attenuator is not that rare: For example, good mixing consoles have a maximum undistorted output level of 24 dBu, but many power amplifiers cannot tolerate more than 18 dBu at the input. When the mixer operator makes full use of his device's headroom, the power amplifier begins to distort. The distortion happens in the amplifier's input stage, which the signal passes through before it hits the volume control.

Nick Salis

Nick Salis

Latest posts

Back