Console PSU Changeover Switch - Scratch Design needed?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amplexus

So I have two identical PSU's for my console (Amek BC3, 32ch). They are the 900 Series SMPS based PSUs, +17/-17/+12/+48 rails, 15A for the audio and aux rails and 3A for the +48.

When this console was installed in a remote truck for a regional TV network they were using a poorly rigged up box with a bridge rect. per rail, with the two supply sources feeding each AC leg... Basically the diode trick.

I don't want to go the janky route, and I don't need the excess current of the two supplies in parallel- what i DO want is automatic changeover, instantaneous enough as to not blip out the middle of a great take.

Of course, nothing I record is world ending or LA level money- but ya know.

I am thinking that what i need is an Ideal Diode controller like a LTC4357 and some extremely beefy mosfets.... If i understand correctly I use one controller and mosfet per rail and then the backup would changeover on a per-rail basis nearly instantly? In this situation the MOSFETs are acting like switches so the current capacity of the MOSFET would just need to be the anticipated max current drawn by the load with some percent over for headroom?

I could do a manual transfer switch but at that point i might as well walk into the machine closet and change the plug myself. 😆

@Matt Syson might you have some ideas? I know this console was commissioned with the dual supplies direct from Amek, and for broadcast, but i don't know if it may have had an Amek/TAC supplied solution for switchover, or if the 'diode box' WAS the solution from Amek or if that was done by an engineer at TVOntario at some point.

Back