Consumer to Pro line level converter...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sender

This is my frist post, by the way. So if I'm not 100% on all my terminology, I appolgize, I'm new to the whole DIY thing.

I'm looking for some information (hopefully a schematic) of a consumer to pro line level converter so I can plug my iPod and various other accessories into the line amp on the SSL. So any help would be great. If you can't supply me with a schematic, could you push me in the right direction of where to obtain one cheap?

Thanks a bunch!

Do you want to go analouge out of the iPod to the line amp? If so, then I guess a 1/8 inch mini plug to 1/4in stereo plug adapter would be the ticket.

If you are talking about digital to analogue conversion, then I would drag it into your computer and then play it back on whatever converter you have hooked up to the computer and then into the line amp. If you don't have a pro-level D/A converter, then you might as well go out of the iPod.

I may be completely missing your point, but that's what I gathered from your post.

[quote author="Sender"]I need something to convert unbalanced -10dbV to +4dbU[/quote]

Aphex used to make an active unit called the Model 124 that works very well - I have several of them. I'm not sure whether or not they still make it. In the schematics section of the Jensen Transformers website there's a schematic (AS012) for a passive box using, of course, Jensen transformers.

Good luck!

Any good-quality, low-noise amplifier circuit set for a gain of about 12dB and followed by a 1:1 coupling transformer would do the trick.

You can do it transformerless, of course, but I like to use a transformer in applications like this because the galvanic isolation prevents nasty surprises when interfacing equipment. ATI, who makes such boxes for the professional market, uses transformers.

http://www.atiguys.com/mm100.html

Inexpensive but decent transformers are available here:
http://www.edcorusa.com

[quote author="jrmintz"][quote author="Sender"]I need something to convert unbalanced -10dbV to +4dbU[/quote]

Aphex used to make an active unit called the Model 124 that works very well - I have several of them. I'm not sure whether or not they still make it. In the schematics section of the Jensen Transformers website there's a schematic (AS012) for a passive box using, of course, Jensen transformers.

Good luck![/quote]

This is pretty much what I'm looking for, except the schematic is for pro to consumer. I need to go from consumer to pro. Can I just run the circuit backward and send signal in the output?

If you are using the iPod as a floating source, i.e., not hooked up to the computer or charger, then you can get along without transformer isolation. But if not, then it is pretty much mandatory---that's a noisy mother when charging or doing hard disk access, and ground loops are a serious problem. The docking station powered speakers from Alt*c and H*rm*n have had to deal with this and do so with varying degrees of success.

"This is pretty much what I'm looking for, except the schematic is for pro to consumer. I need to go from consumer to pro. Can I just run the circuit backward and send signal in the output?"

No. Active circuits are not usually bilateral! And the one mentioned surely is not.

Doing it with a step-up transformer in general is fraught with peril since most consumer equipment has a relatively high output Z, and the step up raises the impedance further, to the point where many pro inputs will severly load it down. However, if you use the headphone out (be careful about clipping at that output, which the Pods will definitely let you do) then the Z is low enough that a transformer would be o.k. Whether there is one off the shelf that is appropriate or not I don't know.

Hi sender.
Search the forums OK.
Pstalmer helped me out with this just a day or two ago.
as of now, the thread is only one page down.
try the one titled -10 to +4 converter. :roll:
Excuse me if I sound a little impatient, but I spent a lot of time searching and digging before I asked for help. The forum and the people in it are a great resource, but as with all great resources, please recycle when you can.
Sleeper

Latest posts

Back