Converting bistable relay into single side stable

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAY X

Hi!

Long story short: I made a mistake ordering relays. Instead of single side stable relay AZ850-24, i ordered AZ850P2-24, the latter being 2 coil bistable. The fact is that it is difficult to get low profile dpdt relays these days...like the tq2 series or simmilar!!😝

Anyway, ¿Is it possible to wire a bistable latching relay to behave like a single coil non latching?

I power these relays between +/-16v rails and a resistor to drop voltage. A switch closes or opens +V rail.

Jay x

A different switch: 1p3t momentary (returns to center position with 2 normal open terminals) or something like that.

It may be possible with 1 n.o. Momentary contact and pole in the relay, or a few transistors

How many relays do you require?

Hi!

Long story short: I made a mistake ordering relays. Instead of single side stable relay AZ850-24, i ordered AZ850P2-24, the latter being 2 coil bistable. The fact is that it is difficult to get low profile dpdt relays these days...like the tq2 series or simmilar!!😝

Anyway, ¿Is it possible to wire a bistable latching relay to behave like a single coil non latching?

I power these relays between +/-16v rails and a resistor to drop voltage. A switch closes or opens +V rail.

Jay x
If I understand your question you need to actively drive the relay on, and then actively drive it off. You don't need to constantly power the relay so your can turn on and off with momentary one shots. This crude logic is not complex but more complex than just using the correct relay.

JR

Hi!

I have a lot of latching dpdt switches to activate/ turn on/off normal non latching relays.(the typical single coil relay).

But by mistake I bought those dual coil latching relays that behave completely different!! And from what you say it is not easy to convert/make behave a dual latching relay into a single coil relay easyly. I need to buy new relays, otherwise i will overcomplicate things! My fault!:LOL:

Jay x

If your physical switches are double throw... one throw can latch-on, the other throw can latch-off. Probably sensible to cap couple the drive pulses so you don't waste power (climate change and all that).

JR

Latest posts

Back