Craigslist scammers- what to do, what to do

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rybow

I have had good luck with craigslist and scammers. Haven't been scammed, and haven't had a scammer contact me. Well, it just happened. I didn't get scammed, but I was just contacted. I had some acoustic treatment, an oxygen 49 keyboard, marshall foot switch and mic stands for sale. Not obvious at all. Real sneaky. (sarcastic smiley). What to do? Just block him, or have a little fun first? I should probably just block him, but the temptation to firetruck with this fool is great.

Scammer: Is this goods still for sale?

Me: The mic stands are spoken for, but everything else is available. What are you interested in?

Scammer: (less than a minute after my reply) Thanks for the response. I am willing to pay your asking price. I am
paying by Cashier's Check & I would like to send payment directly to
you the above mentioned. Please provide your name and address phone
number for payment. You should receive payment within the coming week
(2-3 days time). As per pick-up, I will make arrangement with the
manager of my shipping moving company to come for pick-up after
payment has been received by you and cashed out. l would appreciate if
you take the posting off craigslist today and consider it sold to me.
There will be an excess payment on the check so you can send the
remaining balance to the shipping company. My assistant will mail out
the payment to your address ok. Once payment is received we can
proceed with the pickup. Thanks for your understanding and patience.
Hope i can trust you with my money?  Have a nice time...

Regards,
Thanks

Insomniaclown said:
I have had good luck with craigslist and scammers. Haven't been scammed, and haven't had a scammer contact me. Well, it just happened. I didn't get scammed, but I was just contacted. I had some acoustic treatment, an oxygen 49 keyboard, marshall foot switch and mic stands for sale. Not obvious at all. Real sneaky. (sarcastic smiley). What to do? Just block him, or have a little fun first? I should probably just block him, but the temptation to firetruck with this fool is great.

Definitely have fun with the guy.

-a

Was it from a doctor, priest or other trusted authority figure... I used to get these every single time I'd post on craigslist, and I'd usually have fun with em

Well, why not! The war has begun.

My reply. I may have laid it on too thick

Sounds great! Thank you so much. You have really helped me out. I thought I'd be a bit short for my meds this month. Thanks again. I really appreciate it!

Do you really need my phone number though? I am not sure I feel comfortable sharing that online. If it's alright, I'd prefer to not share that.

(address was here)

The above is my work address as I don't spend much time at home these days.

Anyway, thank you so much again. I hope everything goes smoothly with our transaction.

God bless you,
Ryan

Speaking of that , does anyone buy remotely off of kijiji or craigs list ?
how do you trust anyone , other than ebay rating or ??

I'm trying to find a good deal on marshall jvm 410 head but the best ones
are on craigs list and nothing local so i'm still looking

Didn't someone on this very board manage to send a scammer on half a dozen or so idle trips to the post office? I seem to remember something like that.

Anyway, give him hell!

okgb said:

I just sold a pair of bass speakers on CL to a guy 2 states over.  I'm not sure how he found me.  I was definitely reluctant at first too.  I really tried to dissuade him, but it all worked out well.

Start up a line of conversation, then google the guy to check his legitimacy.  Also see if he's got an ebay rating or if he's active on any other forums.

geoff004 said:
okgb said:

I just sold a pair of bass speakers on CL to a guy 2 states over.  I'm not sure how he found me.  I was definitely reluctant at first too.  I really tried to dissuade him, but it all worked out well.

Start up a line of conversation, then google the guy to check his legitimacy.  Also see if he's got an ebay rating or if he's active on any other forums.

Good advice.

I've got some great deals because people sometimes make a legitimate ad look for all the world like a scam. The eBay handle someone uses is often the same as, or close to, their email or username in a forum. I check for someone in the right profession in the location of the item who fits the profile. I got a 480L for a song from a Lexicon developer. They listed it cheap and without much detail, plus zero feedback. Same deal with a TC System 6000. Of course, I won't buy anything on eBay unless I'm willing to take the chance of losing it all without getting too upset.

Been through several.  I seem to get at least 2 scam replies per listing.  Had one go as far as to send me a bogus MO.  Handing over to police is probably useless unless they are local. Most of the scammers don't even read your response, they just go on auto pilot with scripted responses.  For the ones that do read them, I've found that saying up front "I know you're a scammer and am reporting to CL and local police"  sends them running.  8)

On a positive note I sold an amp too heavy for shipping to a guy located 3 states away from me on CL.  He was truck driver and had a route near my hometown.  Went to meet him at convenient truckstop and got paid an extra 50$ for my travel!  I still am reticent about any non face to face transactions no matter how trustworthy someone seems.  Just too risky.

I'll do my best to keep this guy going for a bit. I did report his email to Craigslist already though, but hopefully I can string this guy along for awhile.

Here is the mother of all scam pranks. Well, that I've seen anyway. I am sure most of you have read about this one.
http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

Anyway, hopefully have more info soon. If I don't hear from my scammer soon, I'll send an email. Funny, the stuff I have for sale comes in at about $100 for everything. Kind of a small amount for a scammer to be after don't you think?

Lately it's been reverse scammers I'm getting hit with... the other day I see an ad for a free original NES system plus a few games... (nothing really rare, but still something I figured I HAD to have, being that I grew up on that shit) So I emailed them only to have them say it was gone but that they knew where to get a brand new plazma tv for free!!! wtf?

...that just ruined my day.

Insomniaclown said:
Here is the mother of all scam pranks. Well, that I've seen anyway. I am sure most of you have read about this one.
http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

This is pretty scary, since the guy supposed to be scammed disappeared from the web after the scammer got his package... It would certainly have been more prudent not to let the scammer find out his identity and at some point get the authorities involved to catch the con man. But the problem with the latter would be that having someone pay substantial taxes for worthless goods is fraud in and of itself, no matter how well deserved the punishment and sweet the revenge...

I know. Pretty freaky, but then again the whole thing could be just a good story with no fact behind it. I agree that it is still fraud, but as you said, revenge can be oh so sweet.

No news from the first scammer, but I think I have another bite. I have my amp listed, and I just got an email asking how long I've had it, and I quote "I am very much interested and can pay the listed price". Does no one barter anymore?

See what happens.

By the way, anyone want a Mesa Rectoverb series 2 combo with a bunch o tubes with it?

okgb said:
If you send it to me I'll give you a tax receipt and double the shipping
after my next vegas trip

Done! That sounds perfect!

I got another one today. This one is really good. Even tries to make himself more credible and make me feel bad for even considering rejecting him as a scammer. All I want to do is sell my amp dangnabbit!  :mad:

"Thanks for your mail. i would be glad to pay for it as soon as possible though i will not be available to come for an inspection due to  the nature of my work as a marine engineering, It hard to make a phone calls and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I insisted on PayPal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my PayPal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your full name and your PayPal email address and the price so i can transfer the funds Asap for it and please if you don't have PayPal account yet, it is very easy to set up, just visit www.paypal.com  and get it set up, after you have set it up i will only need your full name and the  e-mail address you use for registration with PayPal so as to transfer the funds. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick it after the payment has been made."

Bah, and do they have to write these emails in such weak english?
That gives a bad rep to all of us foreigners!
:mad:

Back