Crush and Blend

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruno2000

When you guys who like the Crush and Blend technique,  typically what is the ratio of "compressed" to "uncompressed"?
Thanks!
Best,
Bruno2000

Hi

Depends on the degree of compression and the desired effect.
In my world it's is between 30/70 and 50/50  compressed/uncompressed.

Cheers

I prefer crushed ice over blended ;D

ON a more serious note I think it's dependent on the sonics we want but then again I do it old skool  with faders and have yet to own a piece of gear with a mix knob

One place I almost always use that is on choir vocals, so you understand what they are saying even with them hidden back there in the mix. Ratio will depend, I couldn't tell since I use two different channels for that, one with the over compressed and other with the original signal, almost as a fx send more than a parallel mix in the box.

JS

OK, so crush and blend.............not so much.
How about bypass?  Hard wire?  Input XF to output XF (or chip equal?)?  Just take out the compression element (1:1 ratio)? None (do it in the PatchBay)?
Thanks for your thoughts!
Best,
Bruno2000

In mastering I will occasionally do one of two tricks

- Pair of EAR 660 set to slowish attack and release (3 or 4), compressing maybe 10dB, blend this in maybe 30% to add density and weight to an other wise limp track

- Use an SSL type or other grabby/explosive compressor with medium attack and fast release, compressing maybe 5dB, blending in 20% or so for excitement on rock/pop.

I don't need anything except transparent crossfader but that's because I have all of the mutes/bypass etc elsewhere in the Maselec console.

Back