CUBASE 7

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the case of using interface outputs as dedicated sends and interface inputs as dedicated returns for connectecting external analog hardware, how do you figure out the latency compensation to use ?

I haven't yet figured the cubase way to do this - I could be wrong, but what I've seen other daws (I'm a long time cubase tragic) is that the latency compensation figure is automatically determined by the software and the figure is set in the same user interface dialog.

In Cubase 5 it appears that you can enter the latency compensation figure but you need to manually determine it yourself ?

-----

The other thing I struggle with is that you can't set an interface input/output to be both an efx send/return and a regular input/output.

My analog channel strips can be used as instrument preamps and so connected to interface inputs as regular ins, but also receive a recorded daw signal via an interface output connected to their line inputs.

So the analog channel strip can act as either a mic/instrument preamp or as a daw 'warming' preamp depending on it's source selection - mic/instrument or line.

But to change the usage from an 'instrument preamp' to a 'track warner' in cubase,  you need to redefine the interface input and output away from being a regular input/output (no latency compensation) to an effects send/return (user defined latency compensation). 

Which I find to be a pain.  ie. changing the connections definitions in the regular input/output page as well as the fx send page. So I end up not using the analog channel strips as 'track warmers' because it seems like such a major production to reconfigure all the time.

I have saved connection definitions for each case and switch between them that way, but still. Lifes short :)

What I would like is to define a physical input/output as being regular input/output (no latency comp)  as well as defined as a send/return (defined latency comp) and be able to select either in the channel input/output lists.

(apologies for long winded description!)

Anyone have a better approach?  Maybe Cubase 7 makes these things easier?

Thanks

?!?
See your signature !

You'll need to ping your analog insert. I don't use it myself, so I can't tell you how to do it in detail, but I have used this once, long ago (SX3). I remember it's very simple and easy to do. Set the correct in and outputs for your analog insert, hit the "ping"button, and Cubase automatically corrects the latency. a case of simply RTFM.
;)

Ahh, OK - will try tomorroo  ;D

Well  yes it does!  I never before noticed the right hand mouse click menu item 'Check User Delay'.

Still have the issue of the connections being 'mutually exclusive' between Normal Inputs/Outputs and GroupFX Send/Return.

I can make presets for the Normal Inputs/Outputs but not for the GroupFX - there's no save option.
So the Group/FX definitions disappear each time.

Oh well, can't have everything. At least I can do it now on occasion.

Thanks kindly

Thank you for the article link.

I think I have it now - there are the limitations I noted but apart from that I can do what's needed.

Cheers

I'm on 5.5.  I got bummed because I bought it about a week before the cutoff when they came out with 6 and offered the upgrade.  i really wanted 6 then.  I don't see anything in 7 i really care about, and honestly, I think it looks pretty ugly-too much like it's trying to be logic...

I bought the upgrade from cubase 4 to 7, 2 weeks ago.

With a cubase license you can also use the older versions cubase, so, I borrowed the install DVD of Cubase 6.5 of my brother in law, and installed it as well. Mainly because I always prefer software that has been tested in the real world for a while, haha !

So, I have been fiddling a bit with both versions for a few hours.

This is my first impression :

4 to 7 :
The new GUI..... not my bag of tea. A bit too dark. The new mixer setup looks cool though, the added dynamics and tape/tube saturation do sound usable (I'd have to check that using a full mix!). But the user interface of the mixer doesn't feel as comfortable as the previous cubase mixers. I suppose that'll be a matter of adjustment though.
Also, the taskbar has changed a lot. I have to search for the functions that I want. Probably a matter of adjustment... again. Why do these things have to change ?
Nevertheless, the new mixer functions might be a great addition, I'll look into this soon .
As said, I have only been checking 7 for a couple of hours.

4 to 6.5 :
Aaaaahh, everything looks like 4 !
And there are cool new plugins included ! (These might be launched with 7, I don't know if these came with 6 or 7..).
-Convolution Reverb, (that work with the immense bundle I found on the internet), (haha, 5 weeks ago I bought the Waves IRlive).
-Guitarspeaker simulator. Not tested this yet, but it looks very promising.

Some other new features are included as well, ... But the main thing of importance to me was : It's more stable than 4.

So :
6.5 is what I'll be using the next few months , maybe I'll open the project in 7 during the mix, it looks promising.

One thing to know about Cubase 7 is that the mixer is entirely resizable, which leads to the mixer being quite slow to load. By that I mean perhaps 1-2 secs to open, which doesn't seem like a lot, but if you're hitting F3 often to get a quick glance at the mixer it can be a little annoying.

The other features of the new mixer do make up for it though. One thing in particular is being able to stick a channel to the left or right of the mixer, eg having a mic input channel sticking to the left, and the master to the right.

kevinkace said:
One thing to know about Cubase 7 is that the mixer is entirely resizable, which leads to the mixer being quite slow to load. By that I mean perhaps 1-2 secs to open, which doesn't seem like a lot, but if you're hitting F3 often to get a quick glance at the mixer it can be a little annoying.

The other features of the new mixer do make up for it though. One thing in particular is being able to stick a channel to the left or right of the mixer, eg having a mic input channel sticking to the left, and the master to the right.

get 3 displays then you have the mixer permenantly open on one screen  :D

kevinkace said:

Quite inexcusable in 2013 with the computing power and memory available.

Sounds like they implemented this new mixer on the same legacy graphics engine they've been using since the nineties. I've been in one ship that sunk because end users complained about similar issues across the board (and it wasn't in my power to change any of it). And these were low-IQ average consumers, not enlightened and nit-picky professionals.

I finally upgraded to C7. Since I use Cubase from Atari era I was really shocked with GUI because it's now more Ptools lookalike . I use PT for mixing and now Its maybe less painfull when I switch from DAW to DAW ;) Anyway, C7 ask you for some pation to figure out new features and it goes slowly from day to day. Thing I'm really happy about is that they improoved  summing algorithm, now it sounds much better, much more detailed. Also, bounce finally sounds same as realtime play what was real pain in the ass before. But it's really buggy , specially the new mixer but that's nothing new for X.0.2 version ;) Owerall, I'm happy with C7 :) and yes, it works cool under osx 10.6.8  8)

I moved from PT9 to C7 and I'm loving every bit of it. IMHO the new mixer now exceeds the functionality of Pro Tools. Paired with Cubase's Midi editing (which has always surpassed Pro Tools), it's a crazy good DAW. Cubase has already released 3 packs of updates to correct any errors/bugs. I haven't experienced any bugs at all. I would highly reccommend trying it out. Also chord builder and VST Connect SE Performer is amazing.

Just my 2 cents - Andrew

wink0195 said:
I moved from PT9 to C7 and I'm loving every bit of it. IMHO the new mixer now exceeds the functionality of Pro Tools. Paired with Cubase's Midi editing (which has always surpassed Pro Tools), it's a crazy good DAW. Cubase has already released 3 packs of updates to correct any errors/bugs. I haven't experienced any bugs at all. I would highly reccommend trying it out. Also chord builder and VST Connect SE Performer is amazing.

Just my 2 cents - Andrew
I'm with you on that. 7.0.3 solved mixer bug and now it works cool. Main thing is that export (mix bounce) work without sound issues . Real time monitoring of export still sucks but i'm sure it will be solved soon.

im also a longtime cubase/nuendo user and also itching to try C7.
i was also a bit sad to see the Logic type graphics they now employ but im a believer and ive heard good thing about the new audioengine.
what do you think about the yamaha buyout?
i think that its a good move, yamaha combined their Virtual Circuit Modelling technology to get Rupert Neve onboard!?

I finally splashed out and bought this a couple of weeks ago, having come from Cubase SX3. It's great. It is different, but I'm just starting to learn my way around and get quick with it.

One thing I've noticed is that it's heavier on processor usage than older Cubase. This might be to do with some of the plugins I installed at the same time as C7, but the Core 2 Duo 2.4 / 4GB RAM combo  I have now just isn't cutting it. I think I'll go up to an i5 with 16GB RAM, or even i7 if I can open my wallet far enough on the day I bite the bullet. Should see me right for another 6 years the way the last setup did.

So, if you're going from a very old version like I did, that's an additional expense you may need to consider.

Worth it though I'd say...

rob_gould said:
I think I'll go up to an i5 with 16GB RAM, or even i7 if I can open my wallet far enough on the day I bite the bullet. Should see me right for another 6 years the way the last setup did.

I have an i7 2600k desktop and an i5 laptop (both sandy bridge processors ideal for auido. go with the i7 desktops. They're wayyyy more powerful. the factory overclocking really helps too.

wink0195 said:
rob_gould said:
I think I'll go up to an i5 with 16GB RAM, or even i7 if I can open my wallet far enough on the day I bite the bullet. Should see me right for another 6 years the way the last setup did.

I have an i7 2600k desktop and an i5 laptop (both sandy bridge processors ideal for auido. go with the i7 desktops. They're wayyyy more powerful. the factory overclocking really helps too.

I'd forgotten about this thread. I did go for the i7 in the end, and despite that I'm not that impressed with Cubase's performance. It's not really bad, but some stuff just takes longer than it should. And there are unsolved bugs that people have been complaining about online for more than a year that Steinberg just haven't addressed. For example, the mixer window resizing when you close and then reopen it. I know I'm not alone with these issues because various forums / social media are awash with pissed off customers.

Not that impressed with Steinberg on this one tbh.

I know I started this thread but........
I'm still using Cubase studio 5 ha ha.
On a windows 7 system with an RME interface it simply does not crash, so theres no need for me to upgrade.

Very sensible!

Off topic, did you order a TTSH over on MuffWiggler? I'm looking forward to getting my hands on mine...

I have bought Cubase 7 as an upgrade from Cubase 4, but I use Cubase 6.5 instead of 7 because it feels more intuitive (being a longtime cubase user).

And what I really find strange, is that Cubase 7 owners have to pay for update 7.5.
( Well.... "strange"... I actually have other words for that. )

Latest posts

Back